57/08 wiring struggles

Corey McCormick

Hey guys I need help, I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find an answer.

My 57/08 treble pickup is 3 wires, black hot, white split and bare is ground, that’s no issue it’s working properly.

My new 57/08 neck pick is 4 wires, I can get sound from white going to split on push / pull tone, but where does black / red go? I’ve tried a couple different combinations and can’t get any sound apart from the coil split.

This is to wire my S2 Singlecut with push pull.

The schematics I’ve looked at haven’t really helped, hoping someone here could help me out. Thanks!

Oh and to clarify, I’ve tried red to volume, nothing, black to volume, nothing.

Do black / red go together? Or red / white? Or something lol...

Yes, but it's still not functioning properly.

So I wired black to hot (volume), red to split (push/pull), white to ground (tone), and bare to ground (volume).

Individually they seem to work, in middle position though, the volume is really low, and it I turn volume down a bit suddenly it comes to life.

So there is definitely something not right somewhere.

I will describe all positions and where the issue is now. (At least I have volume).

Bridge: no issue
Bridge coil split: no issue
Neck: no issue
Neck coil split: no issue

Neck + Bridge: ISSUE (volume dies down), and I can tell they are not working together. This is my favourite position for clean work.

Everything seems to be connected properly, if not, I would assume there would be issues when running each individually... no?

I really appreciate the help... But I'm stumped as to why when going to middle position almost seems to like it is triggering a coil tap?

Finally figured it out, I decided since I couldn't find the information, there could only be so many combinations to try.

The correct one was: White to hot, red to split, black to ground and bare to ground. Wow what an ordeal! lol

Soldering isn’t fun for me the first, nevermind the 6th. Glad you got it working.

Haha I don't mind it, it's just when there are no clearcut diagrams for specific pickups it makes it tough to research. I just got fed up and figured something has to work.

Now I have another problem which is the pickups are mismatched (older 57/08 is brushed nickel finish) and new one is a mirror nickel finish. So later on I will most likely remove cover from the bridge.

Haha I don't mind it, it's just when there are no clearcut diagrams for specific pickups it makes it tough to research. I just got fed up and figured something has to work.

New PRS pickups come with a guide in the box, funnily enough I googled "PRS pickup wiring" and it was the first thing that came up... It's on their site here

Probably not funny for you but glad you got it sorted!

Finally figured it out, I decided since I couldn't find the information, there could only be so many combinations to try.

The correct one was: White to hot, red to split, black to ground and bare to ground. Wow what an ordeal! lol

Dang, sorry I was late to the party. I could've told you that off the top of my head. LOL

If you end up out of phase, you can swap white to ground and black to hot.

Back