57/08 vs HFS/Vintage pickups

Yes, LBXII does have a very fendery clean (LBXI had less and more driven sound). Plus the modern hi-gain. Cannot predict how would the two pickups sets react to 5150. But it’s interesting you say you don’t care for the split sounds. These in-between positions tend to be my favourite. So, the HFS don’t split well? Would you say HFS is good for the modern playing styles (clear tapping notes, good string separation in distorted complex chords..)?

Looking at the pics, I'd go Cu24, all day! Looks like a one piece top, too.

Buy the one that feels the best in your hands. Pickups are easily changed.

To me, if the guitar itself plays bad or doesn't feel good when I play it unplugged I don't even want to plug it in.

Buy the one that feels the best in your hands. Pickups are easily changed.

To me, if the guitar itself plays bad or doesn't feel good when I play it unplugged I don't even want to plug it in.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I only played the CE22 and the neck was a smidge too fat. CU24 lives in different country (but the price is unbeatable).

Yes, LBXII does have a very fendery clean (LBXI had less and more driven sound). Plus the modern hi-gain. Cannot predict how would the two pickups sets react to 5150. But it’s interesting you say you don’t care for the split sounds. These in-between positions tend to be my favourite. So, the HFS don’t split well? Would you say HFS is good for the modern playing styles (clear tapping notes, good string separation in distorted complex chords..)?
I could just not like split sounds in general. The only two guitars I have that aren’t straight humbuckers are my CE22 and DGT. And I prefer the DGT because it’s not a true split, but rather a coil tap. I think I just prefer that sound.

Also, the PRS 5-way rotary isn’t your standard position switch. They actually call it positions 6-10. There’s serial/parallel stuff going on there. See this Sweetwater article. There is no position on this which combines both humbuckers.

Hi, I’m deciding between two guitars, CE 22 with 57/08s and CU24 with HFS/VB. I like them both equally.
But which one would you choose to be your primary guitar, covering all styles (from gentle jazz to dissonant black metal)?
This is hard to answer because the pickups are very different (so are the guitars they are in) and it is impossible to know how somebody else is going to shape their sound.

I’ve had both pickups for a long time and like them both. I find the HFS/VB have a much sharper edge. Just because of that, if I had to choose one, I would go with the 57/08 and dial the back end to what I wanted for what I was playing. I think I could get more range from them.

Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I only played the CE22 and the neck was a smidge too fat. CU24 lives in different country (but the price is unbeatable).

Neck profile is a very big indicator, at least for me, of how I will like it or dislike it. I had a Custom 24 Standard (all mahogany) but it had a wide thin neck. I loved how it sounded, but playing it became not as interesting for me. I still wish I had the guitar I just didn't care for the neck carve.

I travel a lot for work and when I have down time I like to go to guitar shops and play a little bit. If I pick a guitar up and don't like the neck or the frets immediately cut my hand I put it back on the rack and move along.

Okay, thank you guys, I pulled a trigger on the red CU24. It cost only a little more than a used CE, neck is Regular, which is fine, and I can eventually work with the pickups and the rotary thing.
I’m gonna finally have the proper core PRS, yaaay!!

Awesome! Just remember everything on the electronics can be changed if you so desire. My CU24 had the rotary and I changed it to the 3 way toggle.

Yes, I think about doing the same. CU will be a great baseline for further pimpin’

Absolutely. It's a fantastic guitar and a definite workhorse. Enjoy!

Plus if you are efficient at soldering and such, you can change pickups quickly and have a bunch of variety ;)

Okay, thank you guys, I pulled a trigger on the red CU24. It cost only a little more than a used CE, neck is Regular, which is fine, and I can eventually work with the pickups and the rotary thing.

Bangin’!

Nice choice! Congrats!

Heh, funny to read this after a year. In the end, I had sold some unnecessary equipment and bought the blue CE22 as well (for about a price of a new higher-end SE). I really couldn’t sleep thinking about it.
Having those two guitars, it’s interesting to compare. CE22 with 57/08 sounds much better in most applications, but CU24 has it’s unbeatable comfort, rotary switch with some unique out-of-phase sounds, and really shines when you crank the volume (CE sounds awesome even at bedroom level).

Back