57/08 vs HFS/Vintage pickups

I like the flames better between the 2...and I usually prefer quilt.

It's interesting to me that nobody has yet brought up the fact that the HFS (which, incidentally, stands for "Hot, Fat, Screams") and Vintage Bass pickup combo is mainly used in the 24-fret guitars. The Dragon II pickups (and the 57/08) tend to be voiced for being directly under the "24th-fret" harmonic spot for the neck position, which is why many people describe the 22-fret models as sounding "fatter."

I've not had any experience with putting the pickups in the other way around (i.e.- putting the pickups which are voiced for 24-fret models into a 22-fret guitar.) I'd imagine that the Vintage Bass pickup out of the box would be a bit too hot for the neck position in a 22-fret model without some type of modification to it (since it's supposed to be compensating for the fact that it's been pushed not only farther away from the sweet spot, but also closer to the bridge pickup, which in-turn affects the tones involving both pickups.)

If you've already done the swap, I'm actually curious what the results are.

Last edited:
Interesting -- I hadn't even thought of that, thanks for bringing it up (I'm on the hunt for new pickups for a Custom 24 of mine) -- something else to think about.

It's interesting to me that nobody has yet brought up the fact that the HFS (which, incidentally, stands for "Hot, Fat, Screams") and Vintage Bass pickup combo is mainly used in the 24-fret guitars. The Dragon II pickups (and the 57/08) tend to be voiced for being directly under the "24th-fret" harmonic spot for the neck position, which is why many people describe the 22-fret models as sounding "fatter."

I've not had any experience with putting the pickups in the other way around (i.e.- putting the pickups which are voiced for 24-fret models into a 22-fret guitar.) I'd imagine that the Vintage Bass pickup out of the box would be a bit too hot for the neck position in a 22-fret model without some type of modification to it (since it's supposed to be compensating for the fact that it's been pushed not only farther away from the sweet spot, but also closer to the bridge pickup, which in-turn affects the tones involving both pickups.)

If you've already done the swap, I'm actually curious what the results are.[/QUOTE

Prs does or rather has done this in the past. I've seen dragon 2s in cu24s and HFS/VB in cu22s.

Imho, if you love 5708s and you're really in to that I can't see you liking the HFS.

Imho, if you love 5708s and you're really in to that I can't see you liking the HFS.

I do. My first PRS was a Cu24 with the HFS/VB combo. I love everything about the tone. I agree with you that the voicing should be different between the VB and a McCarty for example since the neck position will be different. But I like the tone of both the HFS and a 57/08. I have 57/08's in a Cu22 and a Std22 and I love them. I also have two Cu24's with the HFS/VB set. A person can love PAF and modern at the same time.

I can't say I REALLY know for sure, but I had the SE HFS/VB set in an SECU24 and didn't entirely care for them, whereas the 57/08's I do have and love. The SE HFS actually had a decent clean tone for a hotter pickup (still not as good as the 57/08), but IMO the set was poorly matched (neck too weak) and the tone of the neck I didn't care for either. And the piezo guitars losing value, that's just bogus. It has everything the custom has, and more, so it's worth more (plus in your case the 57/08's are an upgrade IMO).

Since I have both 57/08s and VB/HFS pickups I will comment
Neck pickups - the 57/08 and the VB are pretty similar ( as to me most PRS neck pickups I have ) most are in the 8 K area
Bridge pickups - here is the big difference with the 57/08 in the 8 K are and the HFS running at around 15 K there is a big difference here the HFS can easily push a clean amp into a bit of grind and the HFS has a really nice split sound and paired with the VB has a huge range of tones.
the 57/08 is a classic PAF pickup and just sounds good at most things and most setups it might need a bit more help ( pedals / amp gain ) to get heavy but it most always has a very pleasing tone :)
I personally like them both the variety it what does it for me.
A P22 has a thicker body than a CU22 if you had made that trade I think would would have found the CU22 brighter and possibly harsher than you P22
( PS your P22 rocks )

I like both hfs and 5708- I've used both and loved both in a McStd. Just different but both have their purpose.

I have a CU 24 with VB & HFS and a HB II with 57-08's - These are 2 totally different guitars, with the pick ups being one of the reasons they are different. I like them both & both have their purpose. The CU24 can really scream with the HFS when necessary!

Hi, I’m deciding between two guitars, CE 22 with 57/08s and CU24 with HFS/VB. I like them both equally.
But which one would you choose to be your primary guitar, covering all styles (from gentle jazz to dissonant black metal)?

Hi, I’m deciding between two guitars, CE 22 with 57/08s and CU24 with HFS/VB. I like them both equally.
But which one would you choose to be your primary guitar, covering all styles (from gentle jazz to dissonant black metal)?
To me, it would depend on the rest of the rig...amp and pedals. Those are polarly diverse pickup sets.

To me, it would depend on the rest of the rig...amp and pedals. Those are polarly diverse pickup sets.
I play mostly EVH 51500III lbxII and I further shape my tone mainly with Keeley compressor and EQD Palisades overdrive. I also use hi-gain fuzzes, but not as my main tone.
I really like the 57/08 character. I guess the question is: Does it make more sense to try to add some oomph to 57/08s for metal riffs, or to tame the HFS?

I'd go for the 57/08. But, the real thing would be whether I preferred the bolt on or set neck better. Not to mention the 22 vs. 24 frets. If it were me, I'd buy the guitar that I like the feel of better. You can always change the pick ups after the fact.

I have had both 57-08's and VB/HFS pick ups. I have also had a CU24 at one point with said VB/HFS pick ups. Unfortunately I have never owned or played a CE22. I never particularly cared for the VB pick up on the CU24. The HFS pick up was as advertised (hot screaming etc...) . I think my dislike for the VB pick up has something to do with where the neck pick up is placed (closer to the bridge) on a 24 fret guitar, vs the pick up itself, so I sold the guitar. 57-08 pick ups are very versatile and will work for lots of different genres of music (OK not sure about heavy metal). I have them on an HB II and have played jazz, rock and blues & even a bit of country (middle pick up with a compressor) and they can do the job.

Last edited:
I play mostly EVH 51500III lbxII and I further shape my tone mainly with Keeley compressor and EQD Palisades overdrive. I also use hi-gain fuzzes, but not as my main tone.
I really like the 57/08 character. I guess the question is: Does it make more sense to try to add some oomph to 57/08s for metal riffs, or to tame the HFS?
I haven't tried any of the vintage/reissue style PRS pickups yet. I do have a CE22 with VB/HFS pickups. All I can say is I like them, and prefer them over the Dragon IIs that they replaced. I play through a Mesa Mark IV and Bogner Goldfinger.

I haven't tried any of the vintage/reissue style PRS pickups yet. I do have a CE22 with VB/HFS pickups. All I can say is I like them, and prefer them over the Dragon IIs that they replaced. I play through a Mesa Mark IV and Bogner Goldfinger.
And tell me about which genres do you play and what do you think is HFS’s limit, style-wise. What they suck at.

They they are (blue - CE, red - CU). Any instant impressions?
93523607917570b91b680840d4f1e16e.jpg
nzcem9yzs2bs16extkjq.jpg

And tell me about which genres do you play and what do you think is HFS’s limit, style-wise. What they suck at.
I've been pretty stuck on 80s hard rock for a little while now. Then move over into a little Landau territory, then Lukather. It's annoying when people say "what amp", but it's true. I've typically preferred the '57 Classic pickups w/ my Les Paul for neck/middle clean tones. But through the Bogner Goldfinger I picked up a few weeks ago, the VB in the CE22 sounds better. It's my new clean sound. Can't talk much about switch positions, as I have a 5-way rotary, and I don't really love the 2, 3, and 4 position splits.

I'm trying to remember the LBXII, does it have a "clean" clean channel? If so, the VB shouldn't need to be tamed. The HFS? Yea, it's hard to get a genuine clean out of it with my amp settings. But I'm not a bridge pickup clean player to begin with.

Back