57/08 vs HFS/Vintage pickups

Solteroblues

Hi all, I'm contemplating trading my 2013 P22 with the 57/08 pickups for a 2013 Custom 22 with the HFS/Vintage set (hopefully plus a little cash). What has me the most worried is the differences in pickups (I know, and lack of the piezo, but the cash would make up for that). I have never played anything with the HFS/Vintage set, and I LOVE the 57/08's - pretty much the tone I've always had in my head. How different are these? Would I be gaining or losing in the tone department? Clarity?

Thanks!

I'd still like to know the differences, but the trade fell through. He actually thought his CU22 was worth more than my P22.

I'd say that if you love the sound of 57/08s, you wouldn't be too impressed with the HFS. The vintage bass might not be too bad though. I have a P22 Trem and I definitely wouldn't trade it for a Custom 22. I think you gained in lots of ways when that trade fell through.

yeah, you don't want that trade. The Custom isn't equal to a P22.

I love the HFS/Vintage set but they are more modern in tone than the 57/08's (which I also love). If you play rock they would be good, but if the 57/08's are what you hear in your head, the HFS will be too edgy; too powerful.

If you love the tone of the 57/08s (and the whole guitar for that matter) why are you trading? If I had a "tone in my head" guitar it would also be a "over my dead body" guitar :)

THANKS guys. The only reason I was thinking about the trade was I "thought" that I could get basically the same guitar, sans the piezo, with a slightly better top (quilt vs. flamed) plus cash in the deal. As soon as he told me I'd need to add $400 to the deal, I was like NO WAY. The two guitars were almost identical in all other aspects (other than pickups and the piezo of course), built approximately a month apart - one in flamed whale blue, the other quilt, same tuners, the CU22 had a trem which I thought I might like on at least one guitar, as I currently don't have any. He said that the P22's have lost all value on the used market, and that customs are worth more now - makes NO sense to me... And this is the same guy that I originally bought the P22 from! At the time when I bought it, he was asking $500 more than he is the custom now, only a few months apart.

I guess I escaped that one, huh?

I'm sure many would disagree with me but the HFS/VB combo, as far as rock is concerned, is the sound that people generally think/hear when you think PRS. If the 57/08 is the sound you always wanted though, and you have that piezo, I wouldn't get rid of it. As others said, you lose the piezo and that is a pretty awesome tool so you should totally keep your P22.

And speaking from purely my own perspective, flames trump quilt every time. I mean, think about it: in a fight, which would win - flames or a quilt? Unless you threw the quilt over some flames, of course. But anyway, I digress...:flute:

THANKS guys. The only reason I was thinking about the trade was I "thought" that I could get basically the same guitar, sans the piezo, with a slightly better top (quilt vs. flamed) plus cash in the deal. As soon as he told me I'd need to add $400 to the deal, I was like NO WAY. The two guitars were almost identical in all other aspects (other than pickups and the piezo of course), built approximately a month apart - one in flamed whale blue, the other quilt, same tuners, the CU22 had a trem which I thought I might like on at least one guitar, as I currently don't have any. He said that the P22's have lost all value on the used market, and that customs are worth more now - makes NO sense to me... And this is the same guy that I originally bought the P22 from! At the time when I bought it, he was asking $500 more than he is the custom now, only a few months apart.

I guess I escaped that one, huh?

"You know, that really grinds my gears" /Quote Family Guy

I would say you escaped someone trying to pull one over on you.

If you really like the 5708s then I am certian you will dislike the hfs. It is a harsh sounding pickup and I dont care for it but there are a lot of folks who do. I currently have one in my McCarty but it's there in D tuning and drop C so the lower tuning seems to tame it down a bit. Moot point as I have a pair of M pickups that are going in the McCarty. Need to get my butt in gear and get them swapped out.

I second the opinions of the others - keep the P22 and don't look back. One day you might really appreciate having the piezo (and one less guitar to bring to gigs).

Oh I really like the piezo, but I also have one in one of my LP's, so I have that base covered. I think I've come to my senses, thanks guys. It was the lure of hoping to make a quick buck and still not be PRS-less!

yeah, you don't want that trade. The Custom isn't equal to a P22.

I love the HFS/Vintage set but they are more modern in tone than the 57/08's (which I also love). If you play rock they would be good, but if the 57/08's are what you hear in your head, the HFS will be too edgy; too powerful.
Big +1. I can't say it any better.

BTW, here are some pics of my P22 and the Custom that I had considered:

16139049081_698b9f27ce_b.jpg

vs.

n3cj7omcynitawpl9yza.jpg

Now that I look at it better, that quilt isn't as crisp and clear as my flames, although they aren't perfect...

That's a beautiful guitar. Irregular flames are cool. They have more character. Quilt really isn't my thing so I reckon you came out of that non-deal on top for a number of reasons.

Taste on the wood aside (personally I'd rather look at yours), that would have been a stellar deal - for the other guy!

Back