57/08 VS 53/10

Of course it would be a Coco/Ash sandwich! :)

But how does Swamp Ash sound versus Mahogany?
Oh I meant it’s a coco/ash/coco sandwich cos the back is also coco. But as long as there’s no onions, I’m generally okay.

Hmm I can’t really detect any particular characteristic from the swamp ash. Moreover there’s the hollowbody aspect plus cocobolo neck. I wish I could though! There’d be a job waiting for me at Maryland. ;)

Oh I meant it’s a coco/ash/coco sandwich cos the back is also coco. But as long as there’s no onions, I’m generally okay.

Hmm I can’t really detect any particular characteristic from the swamp ash. Moreover there’s the hollowbody aspect plus cocobolo neck. I wish I could though! There’d be a job waiting for me at Maryland. ;)
Sorry, I got lazy -I knew you meant cod/ash/coco! :)

But, if you worked at PRS, when would the rest of us get a shot at some of the newer epic guitars? :)

Sorry, I got lazy -I knew you meant cod/ash/coco! :)

But, if you worked at PRS, when would the rest of us get a shot at some of the newer epic guitars? :)
Everyday! I’ll do a PSM, PST, PSW, PST, PSF voluntarily. They might not be able to build fast enough, but I’ll post different angles of the same guitars! Will be hounded out in no time but it’ll be good while it lasts :p

he has Boogies, Marshalls and Fenders and plays blues (Eric Clapton, Gary Moore etc...) and rock.
I’d probably try raising the 5310’s up higher.
I will tell him to try that first.

I have a sample of 1 as well - the 53/10 limited in my avatar. This is based on a custom 22 so a little different from the McCarty model. I'd advise to be careful raising the pickups too much. Unless they were too low in the first place, getting them too close to the strings will only deaden the sustain and add odd overtones.
If he's used to Les Pauls and want a more classic rock/blues tone my recommendation is to remove the treble bleed cap from the volume pot. I did this on mine (along with a change to the tone cap to 0.022uf) and it definitely made the guitar more classic rock friendly. It still won't sound like the Les Paul though, but it may be like a good SG.

Give it a try. Only takes a couple of minutes to un-solder one leg, and can quickly be put back again if he doesn't like it. Might want that tone cap change done at some point if he does like it though as it will bring back a little openness from losing the treble bleed.

...my friend for some reason didn't love the 53/10's and he prefers the burstbukers in his LP gold top...
Beautiful pair!

In a similar application, I, too, liked the BB3 (I know, of all things o_O) in my Les Paul. Probably just a magic mojo thing with that particular guitar. But with an SE245 (I said similar, not the same) the hotter pickups just didn’t sound right. A Set of Duncan Antiquities hit the sweet spot and I couldn’t be happier. They do the LP thing as well as could be expected out of that guitar, but I wouldn’t hesitate to drop them into a McCarty. Heck, if I didn’t adore my DGT, they’d go in there. With my amp/rig approach, they just work in these thicker and short scale guitars...to my damaged ears.

Sometimes, it’s just the rig application that makes the pickups right.

Last edited:
Back