57/08 vs. 53/10 neck pickups

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
Anyone played the in the same guitar, or at least the same model of guitar? Compare, contrast, discuss...GO!

I have, in a Stripped 58 and an SC58. The only difference, other than the pickups, is an important one, the SC58 has en ebony fingerboard, which does change a few things.

The 57/08 has a somewhat brighter tone, the 53/10 a somewhat warmer one. I'd take the 57/08 for most rock, and the 53/10 for bluesier or jazzier stuff.

I would have to agree with Les . Granted my 57/08 guitar is a stripper and my 53/10 guitar is a modern eagle but I can still tell a differance in the pickups. Personally I think the 57/08 breakup a little easier than the 53/10 and are brighter even considering the fact that my 57/08's are in a singlecut. The 53/10 has a more rounded sound compared to where I think the 57/08 cuts through a little more. Playing rock music I would definately go with the 57/08's over the 53/10's.

I would have to agree with Les . Granted my 57/08 guitar is a stripper and my 53/10 guitar is a modern eagle but I can still tell a differance in the pickups. Personally I think the 57/08 breakup a little easier than the 53/10 and are brighter even considering the fact that my 57/08's are in a singlecut. The 53/10 has a more rounded sound compared to where I think the 57/08 cuts through a little more. Playing rock music I would definately go with the 57/08's over the 53/10's.

You and I are hearing this exactly the same way. Rounded is a good way of describing it. The 53/10s are great pickups for what they do, however.

I have played both the 57/08's (Custom 22 Artist Pkg) and the 53/10's (P22 Experience 2012) in a relatively similarly confirgured guitar. Both guitars have a Mahogany body and Maple top & both have an Ebony fingerboard, although the P22's is Mexican Ebony. Both have fixed (non-tremolo) bridges. However, the neck wood is Maple on P22 Experience guitar and it is the usual Mahogany on the Custom 22. To my ears, I am hearing the same thing as everyone else - a bit more warmth on the 53/10's, although I think that perhaps it is brightened somewhat by the Maple in the neck of the P22, it does still sound warmer - very sweet tone. I also have an ME Quatro (53/10's), which has a Rosewood Neck and Fingerboard, but also a tremolo (which I believe scoops the sound a bit more than the fixed bridge) - this one is noticably warmer, and probably has the overall "sweetest" sound of the three. I think all three can be used to great effect for blues/jazz, but the MEQ wins overall for sweetness of tone in the clean through moderately overdriven range. The Custom 22, with the 57/08's would be the most rocking of the three, but I've put the MEQ through my Boogie Mark V on Channel 3 with a very tight metal tone I've been working on and I feel it would track as well, possibly the best of the three for a RHYTHM hard rock or metal tone. The Custom 22 would be better for lead, however. And through my PRS H Combo, the Custom 22 is noticeably the brightest. But we're discussing awesomeness on all levels by very small margins here...

Back