57/08 Swap

Jpaul

So I own an 04' CU22 with Dragon 2's and want to put in 57/08's. Are the wires color coded the same for an easy swap? I'm also considering Lollar Imperials but their color coding is different and 4 wire. I'm not an electrician. I'd rather remove and replace them myself. Can anyone help?

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it depends on if the pickups came out of a guitar with the same switching as yours.

If your new pickups have black wire with separate white tap wire then they won't work with rotary or 5 way blade.

If your pickups and the new pickups have red white and black wires then they may be wired the same but there is a chance a magnet could be flipped on one set or the other so you would need to flip that magnet or switch two wires.

I believe this is correct but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Gush is right. You can put anything in any guitar. The catch is that with 57/08s, there are a variety of wire options out there. If you have a 3-way switch, you can get identical function. If you have a split switch, there may be limits with the variety of wiring (like a 2 wire version), and a rotary 5-way needs something different. What do you have for switching?

Once you know what function/switching objectives, you can search for the set of 57/08s you need.

I have a 5 way rotary and now I’m thinking of 85/15’s. I have a set on a CU24 and absolutely love them. Any thoughts? Wiring?

The 8515s are fantastic pickups. You will have to find a set that has the red white and black wires. 2 wire 8515s won't work with rotary switch.

Back