57/08 Swap

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Jpaul, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Jpaul

Jpaul New Member

So I own an 04' CU22 with Dragon 2's and want to put in 57/08's. Are the wires color coded the same for an easy swap? I'm also considering Lollar Imperials but their color coding is different and 4 wire. I'm not an electrician. I'd rather remove and replace them myself. Can anyone help?

2. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but I think it depends on if the pickups came out of a guitar with the same switching as yours.

If your new pickups have black wire with separate white tap wire then they won't work with rotary or 5 way blade.

If your pickups and the new pickups have red white and black wires then they may be wired the same but there is a chance a magnet could be flipped on one set or the other so you would need to flip that magnet or switch two wires.

I believe this is correct but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Boogie

Boogie Zombie Two, DFZ

Gush is right. You can put anything in any guitar. The catch is that with 57/08s, there are a variety of wire options out there. If you have a 3-way switch, you can get identical function. If you have a split switch, there may be limits with the variety of wiring (like a 2 wire version), and a rotary 5-way needs something different. What do you have for switching?

Once you know what function/switching objectives, you can search for the set of 57/08s you need.

4. Jpaul

Jpaul New Member

I have a 5 way rotary and now I’m thinking of 85/15’s. I have a set on a CU24 and absolutely love them. Any thoughts? Wiring?

5. gush

gush She said "huge bag of dibs".

The 8515s are fantastic pickups. You will have to find a set that has the red white and black wires. 2 wire 8515s won't work with rotary switch.