57/08 question

David Hardie

Greetings. I'm new to this site, so I hope I'm not stepping on any toes this being my first post.
I just picked up a pair of 57/08's for a new build. I've searched and searched trying to get the correct 411 without having to ask, but no luck........These Pup's are braided wire, but with an additional thin white wire besides the braided ground and the black hot wire. What is this thin wire for? Splitting HB"s or an additional ground? I've searched crosseyed for a wiring diagram. This build will be a 1 volume, 1 tone (push/pull), 3 way toggle....Appreciate thoughts, suggestions and links

IIRC the white is the split. Used with a push/pull.

White wire is for coil split. Your pickups can not be used with rotary switch or 5 way blade. 3 way toggle only.

Prs website has all the schematics for all.models. you will want custom 22/24 or McCarty depending if you want treble bleed or not.

They're wired like an old PAF but with a coil split added. Braid is ground/shield, black is hot.

White is the series connection between the coils. Leave it disconnected for humbucker. Connect to ground for screw coil or connect to hot for slug coil.

You can still wire them to blades, rotaries, whatever, but you can't do fancy stuff like series/parallel or electrically out of phase.

Thx for that input. I've built more than a few guitars the last 10 years or so, but I've never incorporated PRS and I've been wanting too for quite some time.......I see now that the white wire is the coil split and how it attaches to the push/pull tone pot in the PRS MaCarty diagrams. I'm not understanding what is the effect with this layout? I guess I'll see once it's hooked up......I've also read how it's suggested to not skimp on the resistors.......I's very much welcome any other suggestions or thoughts.....TIA

... I'm not understanding what is the effect with this layout?

The guitar operates as any double humbucker with the push/pull pushed in. When you pull it up it engages the single coils and you effectively get the same configuration but with half the buckers turned off. Gives it a bit of that single coil sparkle.

Hi all!

I am new to this forum as well as have a similar problem/idea.

I bought a 57/08 set used coming from a SC. This one also has the braid/black and white wires only. I wasn't aware of this (expacted the red wire as well) and additionaly bought a 5-way super switch and CTS pots. The plan was to upgrade my SE Custom 24 with US/Core parts and do the Custom wiring with a 5-way switch. Now I understand this is not possible?

Would this be an alternative:
Change Volume and Tone pots to CTS push/pull (Vol=log, Tone=lin, correct?) , use a 3-way Switch and get 7 different Pickup mixes? (1. Bridge full, 2. Bridge full + Neck full, 3. Neck full, 4. Bridge tapped, 5. Bride tapped + Neck full, 6. Brigde tapped + Neck tapped, 7. Neck tapped)

Would it also be possible to use 2 way switches in addition to the push/pulls that either activates screw or slug coil when tapped? (Am I right that series/parallel switching wouldn't be possible nevertheless?)

Hope you understand my weird ideas;)

Cheers, Heiko

Hello hello!

So, I was having the 57/08 Set for some weeks on my guitar.

I really liked the bridge side but the neck wasn't speaking to me. I found it not definded enough in the low end (sounded very unclear and muddy somehow). I've experimented with height adjustments but couldn't get it to where I want it to be.

As described above I was also only able to tap the coils rather than splitting. On a gig I found myself only using the bridge untapped just to avoid the other tones. That was the day I decided to replace them.

Now I have a Thornbucker Set on it (TB on neck, TB+ on bridge side) with the Pete Thorn wiring (5 way + Push/Pull for bridge). These solved my issues in all ways plus that I have very nice sparkling single coils tones now at hand.

Anyone is considering them: I find them a big improvement.

Back