57/08 equivalent?

zone

Hi all,

I've got a McCarty with 57/08 pickups in it which I love the clarity of, and they seem to work well for hard rock going through my EVH head.

I'm looking to replace the pickups in my other PRS (which currently have the Duncan Custom), and although I'd prefer to install 57/08 in it, the price on them in Australia is just ridiculous ($500 for a used set).

Would there be anything out there that is equivalent to the 57/08 set in another brand?
I've been looking into Duncans with the alnico II magnet (Slash sig set has roughly the same output) but I'm not sure if there is anything in another brand?

Keep in mind that in Australia we don't get to return Duncans if we don't like them (is this a US thing only?).

Many thanks

Well, the best of my sources tell me that the 57/08's are Alnico II magnets, wound to 8.5 k-ohm in the neck, and 9.4 k-ohm in the bridge. That puts them pretty darned close to the Gibson '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus set. Also perhaps the Pearly Gates set by Seymour Duncan. Or really, look for any medium-output "PAF" style set. (I wouldn't call the 57/08's "hot" or high-output, but they're definitely not low-output, either.)

Well, the best of my sources tell me that the 57/08's are Alnico II magnets, wound to 8.5 k-ohm in the neck, and 9.4 k-ohm in the bridge. That puts them pretty darned close to the Gibson '57 Classic/'57 Classic Plus set. Also perhaps the Pearly Gates set by Seymour Duncan. Or really, look for any medium-output "PAF" style set. (I wouldn't call the 57/08's "hot" or high-output, but they're definitely not low-output, either.)

Thanks for the info.
Yeah based on the magnets and output, I've been looking at the Slash set, plus the 57 sets.

Back