57/08 covered or uncovered?

Shawn is awesome! Since he is on the forum a lot, it is no surprise he could answer so quickly!

And I agree with his assessment - putting covers on a pups tames some of the rawness or spikeness of a "bright pickup" (and could be said to put a bit of a blanket on a good pickup). The metal, no matter how "neutral" or thin, has to impact the magnetic field in some fashion.

I have uncovered 57/08 squabbins on my P24, and I like the sound. I don't think I have covered 57/08s in anything.

I really need to inventory the pups in my guitars and study the differences - I don't have a good grasp as to what is where and what I like or don't like. Instead I just pick the guitars and play them. Crazy, I know...

Shawn is awesome! Since he is on the forum a lot, it is no surprise he could answer so quickly!

And I agree with his assessment - putting covers on a pups tames some of the rawness or spikeness of a "bright pickup" (and could be said to put a bit of a blanket on a good pickup). The metal, no matter how "neutral" or thin, has to impact the magnetic field in some fashion.

I have uncovered 57/08 squabbins on my P24, and I like the sound. I don't think I have covered 57/08s in anything.

I really need to inventory the pups in my guitars and study the differences - I don't have a good grasp as to what is where and what I like or don't like. Instead I just pick the guitars and play them. Crazy, I know...
Imagine that, someone who just PLAYS his guitars instead of analyzing, modding, tweaking, arguing, etc... Will wonders never cease... ;-)

There is one weird thing. I got the 57's and installed them. The screws that come with the neck are too short. (they include longer ones for the bridge) The neck ring that comes with the S2C24 is about 5 mm. So, even if you are just at the ends of the screws the strings are pretty much kissing the pup. I have some longer Gibson screws that seem to fit but they are too long (1 inch I think). So, I'll have to cut them down a bit to get everything to fit. Not the end of the world but at $210 a pup you'd think they might include multiple screw sets.

Covers change the shape of the midrange in a way that's hard to describe but could roughly be described as "honky". You'll get a more vowel like honk out of covered pickups, and uncovered pickups are a little brighter with no honk.

I like the honkier midrange when playing single note lines and soloing, and I prefer the more flatter/brighter response when playing crunchy rhythm.

Covers change the shape of the midrange in a way that's hard to describe but could roughly be described as "honky". You'll get a more vowel like honk out of covered pickups, and uncovered pickups are a little brighter with no honk.

I like the honkier midrange when playing single note lines and soloing, and I prefer the more flatter/brighter response when playing crunchy rhythm.
Very helpful - thank you! I need to make some sort of adjustment. They have a great sound, but they are so damn bright it's overwhelming. I have the tone turned down to 1 on the bridge just so I'm not drowning. Lowered the e,b,g strings a bit but still it is an insanley trebley (is that a word) set of pick ups (particularly the bridge, the neck is ok). Maybe I'll just dig a hole and lower them through the body of the guitar until they mellow out (jk). :) Not sure, bought them for my prs but may switch them to my lp. ugh.

Strange as this may seem, I actually get what you mean. Very good explanation, thank you!

I have both and like both quite a bit...actually, I don’t have an uncovered squabbin bridge pickup. Might need to rectify that.

Back