57/08 & 59/09 pups

rickcard71

Why did PRS stop making the best pups they ever made (for core guitars)? Why not offer the option to get these pups? I owned two guitars with 09s, and they are my favorite pups ever. I had to sell them because of money, really should not have ever bought them. I still own the 08 pup guitar. I need to get a 59/09 pup guitar again. There are some out there used, but I think I am going to have to get a private stock. I guess it is all due to marketing. However, Gibson still offers most of there best pups on different models.

Oh, nice. Why can’t they sell the 59/09s in covered? Even though if I go PS I would probably go black uncovered.

But, I mean, why not offer these pups with the core line with an upcharge? It is only more money for them to make.

Oh man, you are the guy that owns the best looking SCHB ever in gold!

Hah thanks! I believe they did a few very very limited sets of covered 59/09, but I’ve never seen them advertised outside of a guitar. Last year I asked PTC if they would do covered 59/09 custom for my P22 and got a respectful no.

Hah thanks! I believe they did a few very very limited sets of covered 59/09, but I’ve never seen them advertised outside of a guitar. Last year I asked PTC if they would do covered 59/09 custom for my P22 and got a respectful no.

No, that is not correct. When the 59/09s came out they were all covered, the uncovered pups came out a while after. What they are doing now is obviously different. If one goes private stock you can get them either way.

Coral Sky Music used to be able to get covered 59/09’s. I would check with them, that’s where I got mine.

Hmmm ya I guess I take that back since there are plenty in Reverb sold listings. Still, PTC wouldn’t make me covered ones for a core P22 early last year.

No, that is not correct. When the 59/09s came out they were all covered, the uncovered pups came out a while after. What they are doing now is obviously different. If one goes private stock you can get them either way.

Hmmm ya I guess I take that back since there are plenty in Reverb sold listings. Still, PTC wouldn’t make me covered ones for a core P22 early last year.

Yes exactly, they are not going to cater to you in the aftermarket. They want to sell you what they are offering in the core line or push you into private stock (PS). PS you can get them covered or uncovered.

Yeah, I dunno... I woulda quit after making 57/08’s and 59/09’s myself. But Paul isn’t like that, and a lot of people say great stuff about 58/15’s.

I guess it's all a part of keeping everything fresh. The danger is if you leave anything static for too long then that is all your customer wants you to make - look at Gibson. If it's not a vintage inspired Les Paul then most people aren't interested and Gibson have a hard job innovating anything new. By never resting on anything for too long Paul ensures that his customers are much more open to trying new things.

I had a set of early 59/09 covered pickups in my CU24 for awhile. I passed them along to a member here when I made one of my many pickup swaps. Now I have a 57/08 neck with a 59/09 bridge in that guitar and it's a great combo.

I had a set of 58/15LTs in my old SC Trem and I thought those were fantastic!

I guess it's all a part of keeping everything fresh. The danger is if you leave anything static for too long then that is all your customer wants you to make - look at Gibson. If it's not a vintage inspired Les Paul then most people aren't interested and Gibson have a hard job innovating anything new. By never resting on anything for too long Paul ensures that his customers are much more open to trying new things.

Yeah, great point, you are correct. But, they can keep creating and innovating but keep those other pups available as options, even mark them as an upcharge.

Back