5310s in an HB???

gush

Where is that speedo pic
I'm getting the itch............but first I must ask if anybody has put 5310s in a hollowbody???

I'm getting the itch............but first I must ask if anybody has put 5310s in a hollowbody???

They sound great in the JA-15...have a PS custom 24 and had a P24 with them as well. Maybe the best split coil sounds of any PRS pickup...until the recent Paul’s TCI and MEV. Never had them in a HB 1 or 2...but I’d bet they’d be great.

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out what to do with my uncovered set... I’d like to find a PRS guitar that I don’t currently own (Cu24, McCarty, Korina McCarty) to put them in. Something that’s thick enough to let the pickups shine. I was thinking maybe a S2 McCarty 594? Thoughts?

I’m trying to figure out what to do with my uncovered set... I’d like to find a PRS guitar that I don’t currently own (Cu24, McCarty, Korina McCarty) to put them in. Something that’s thick enough to let the pickups shine. I was thinking maybe a S2 McCarty 594? Thoughts?
Well, I want to them in a vintage yellow Santana hollow body. Maybe with full Tosca switching. 73% of the blame to Sergio, 27% to Tosca. I’m not at fault.

Last edited:
Best pickups to ever come out of PRS, IMO. I've been saving a brand new set for the perfect vehicle, and have decided to have them installed in my Archtop Jazz. I don't see any way that they won't sound fantastic in that guitar.

Now just a drive over the Bay Bridge to drop everything off at the PTC ...

I’m trying to figure out what to do with my uncovered set... I’d like to find a PRS guitar that I don’t currently own to put them in.

Something that’s thick enough to let the pickups shine. Thoughts?

Partisan answer, but I'd put them in a hollowbody guitar, to let the 53/10s and their sweet old vintage tone get married to the air and resonance of a hollow body.

So a core HB-II is a fine idea - but if that's too spendy, perhaps the new SE version?

=K

Partisan answer, but I'd put them in a hollowbody guitar, to let the 53/10s and their sweet old vintage tone get married to the air and resonance of a hollow body.

So a core HB-II is a fine idea - but if that's too spendy, perhaps the new SE version?

=K

Cool. I was thinking about getting a SE Hollowbody or a semi-hollow S2 Mira. Right now they are temporarily sitting in an old SE Custom. Another option might be an all mahogany guitar?

Surprised I hadn't responded to this thread. I've told the story before, but I dropped pair of 53/10s in this in place of the stock SC245 pickups and 1.) they're never coming out and 2.) this guitar will be in my will because I'm never letting go of it while I'm alive:

prs10.png

Also, I'm fixing to install a pair of gold 53/10s in this, probably this weekend. This guitar (an '01) turned me into a complete singlecut fanboi. It's breathtaking in every way except for the pickups. I expect that problem to be well and truly solved with the pup swap:

prs02.png

Cool. I was thinking about getting a SE Hollowbody or a semi-hollow S2 Mira. Right now they are temporarily sitting in an old SE Custom. Another option might be an all mahogany guitar?
Surprised I hadn't responded to this thread. I've told the story before, but I dropped pair of 53/10s in this in place of the stock SC245 pickups and 1.) they're never coming out and 2.) this guitar will be in my will because I'm never letting go of it while I'm alive:

That's good to hear. I had put a set of 5708s in a CE and while I loved the neck pickup the bridge just didn't excite me.

I've seen people comment about how 5708s can be a bit inconsistent but my HB is kind of in need of something.

I'm kind of thinking of putting my covered 5310 bridge pickup in it and see what that does. I would love to have PTC put my 5310 squabbins in it and have mini toggles for taps but it would cost a fair amount. On the other hand, I love the look of squabbin pickups and with coil taps it would be a very cool guitar!!!

prs10.png

Also, I'm fixing to install a pair of gold 53/10s in this, probably this weekend. This guitar (an '01) turned me into a complete singlecut fanboi. It's breathtaking in every way except for the pickups. I expect that problem to be well and truly solved with the pup swap:

prs02.png

Hold out for a used Core, they’re worth it, and deals can be had.

My HBI Spruce was $1550, and I’ve helped source at least three more for people under $2000.

Remember to check eBay.

That’s a good idea. Thanks! I’ve only tried one Hollowbody II in my life but I wasn’t too impressed with it... it definitely wasn’t a spruce model though. It just felt kinda big and lifeless.

What I love about a semi-hollow/hollow guitar is how BIG they can sound with the right pickups. I also love that they are lightweight.

That’s a good idea. Thanks! I’ve only tried one Hollowbody II in my life but I wasn’t too impressed with it... it definitely wasn’t a spruce model though. It just felt kinda big and lifeless.

What I love about a semi-hollow/hollow guitar is how BIG they can sound with the right pickups. I also love that they are lightweight.

The HBII’s I’ve had my hands on all felt a bit stiffer than the spruces, and to my ears a little brighter. Not necessarily in a bad way... but I absolutely prefer the spruce and all mahogany back, they’re just a bit, not bigger sounding but, I guess warmer.

The 53/10 neck pickup I have is the biggest and fattest sounding PRS pickup I’ve ever heard, so much so that it dwarfed the 59/09 in my Westie and I pulled it out.

I imagine they’d be great in a PRS HB because they’re not huge sounding like a traditional hollowbody can be, they can be honky sounding, but in a pleasurable way if that makes sense.

The HBII’s I’ve had my hands on all felt a bit stiffer than the spruces, and to my ears a little brighter. Not necessarily in a bad way... but I absolutely prefer the spruce and all mahogany back, they’re just a bit, not bigger sounding but, I guess warmer.

The 53/10 neck pickup I have is the biggest and fattest sounding PRS pickup I’ve ever heard, so much so that it dwarfed the 59/09 in my Westie and I pulled it out.

I imagine they’d be great in a PRS HB because they’re not huge sounding like a traditional hollowbody can be, they can be honky sounding, but in a pleasurable way if that makes sense.

Yup that’s exactly what I’m looking for. My other 53/10s sound HUGE in my McCarty and I love that about them. That’s why I was trying to find a non-fancy PRS to put these in that would allow the pickups to shine... in a back up guitar. The only reason the SE these are in now doesn’t work is because I can’t get along with the neck on the thing.

The spruce sounds like it would work out just fine. These 53/10s are uncovered and are more ‘in your face and rough’ then the covered ones that I have in my McCarty.

Back