53/10's in my HB II???? Anyone done this?

Danerada

Goatee Practitioner
So after playing the JA-15 for a nit, I am toying with the idea of putting 53/10's in my HB II....

What do you guys think? Shawn has anyone done this and have you heard it?

I have them in my PS semi-HB (one f-hole) and they sound incredible. A perfect match for that guitar, and I've often thought about how great they'd surely sound in a HBII. I also know of one member here who recently got his HBII Artist set up that way, and it was raves all around. IMO, 53/10's are fantastic p/u's, and are probably my favorite of the PRS line up.

Should be great... I put 57/08s in mine and it made a huge difference...

I really like the Archtops that are in it now, but the 53/10's are really nice and warm and I think they would complement the maple back and top combination well.

So after playing the JA-15 for a nit, I am toying with the idea of putting 53/10's in my HB II....

What do you guys think? Shawn has anyone done this and have you heard it?

They'll sound great. While I liked the Archtop pups, I felt that they didn't have quite enough umph for me. I kept looking for 5th gear, if you know what I mean? the 53/10's don't have that problem. While they aren't high output, they have plenty of power to allow you to rock.

They'll sound great. While I liked the Archtop pups, I felt that they didn't have quite enough umph for me. I kept looking for 5th gear, if you know what I mean? the 53/10's don't have that problem. While they aren't high output, they have plenty of power to allow you to rock.

Are the leads long enough to install them in my HB II?

Speaking of 53/10's......Will they be available again anytime soon? Ever?!!

Got em in my HBII. They are a special sound. Open, sweet warmth, hint of jangle. I agree with Shawn that they certainly perform more than you'd think (from clean tones to pretty edgy rock tones). I'd think they'd be the perfect pickup if they were voiced the same but a little hotter, and a tiny bit brighter on the neck. Yeah, and over-wound set of 53/10s would be sweet. If you get them consider modding your controls to take advantage of the coil splitting.

Speaking of 53/10's......Will they be available again anytime soon? Ever?!!

I really don't know, but if I had to guess I would say we've seen the last of them. I'm glad I have a set in my JA15, but I wish I snagged an extra set to use in something else later on.

I put a pair of 53/10s in my SCHB to replace the stock SC245s. To me, the stock pickups seemed hot, heavy, and grunty for that guitar. It wasn't a bad sound, but just seemed out of character.

I love, love, love the neck pickup sounds after the pickup swap! The bridge pickup seems a little weak to me. I haven't figured out whether that pickup is a little feeble, or I just don't have it adjusted right yet. Must play some this weekend and figure it out. :)

I put a pair of 53/10s in my SCHB to replace the stock SC245s. To me, the stock pickups seemed hot, heavy, and grunty for that guitar. It wasn't a bad sound, but just seemed out of character.

I love, love, love the neck pickup sounds after the pickup swap! The bridge pickup seems a little weak to me. I haven't figured out whether that pickup is a little feeble, or I just don't have it adjusted right yet. Must play some this weekend and figure it out. :)

I know what you are saying Dave. I had to raise my bridge pup and lower my neck pup quite a bit to get them where they sounded like a "pair" in my Bernie.

Back