53/10 pickups, into which guitar?

Johnny Rigs

"Hold on to your butts" - Samuel L Jackson
Looks like I’ll be trading a spare pickup set for a set of 53/10s. Mostly out of curiousity from hearing about these ones a number of times. So the question is, which guitar would be the best fit for them?

I currently have two main candidates:
- 2006 CE 22, all mahogany body
- 2006 Johnny Hiland

Both of them I’d like to try different pickups in. Would like to try a 59/09 set in the one that doesn’t get the 53/10s. I’d prefer not to throw my Stripped ‘58 w/ 57/08s in the mix, because it sounds great as-is. But if someone makes a convincing arguement for the 53/10s in that, I’d listen.

These are squabbin 53/10s, in case that matters. I don’t mind warm, which I read this pickups are, but I don’t want dull. So, how would you arrange it?

I had to look up the Hiland model to see what it was. I'd actually leave that one as is unless you are unhappy with how it currently sounds and want to mix things up a bit.
I'd go with the CE22 all mahogany. The 53/10s are towards the lower output of the PRS line-up (I don't know how they compare to the 58/15LTs though, anyone?). I would imagine in the CE22 you would be heading into old Gibson SG with PAFs territory.
I don't know if the CE22 has a 'treble bleed' cap on the volume pot. If it does then that would certainly stop the 53/10s from getting dull as I find the cap rolls off a bit of bass even when the tone pot is up on full. To cop a more traditional vintage feel remove any 'treble bleed' cap if there's one there, but also check the capacitor on the tone pot, as they tend to be 0.033uf in combination with the treble bleed. Without treble bleed I'd recommend changing to 0.022uf tone capacitor if it doesn't already have one.

...Of course, if the sound of an old SG isn't appealing you may want to ignore what I've just said.

I'd start with the Hiland
My inclination was to start with the Hiland as well. I'd like to keep the CE 22 as "higher output pickup" guitar, even while moving from its current HFS/VB to 59/09s. And then some day sending it to the PTC for a Floyd :)

I have a mahogany body ce22 that I put rotary switch plus 5310 squabbins.

I like the combination a lot.

The nut needs replaced so I haven't been able to play it a whole lot lately.

I have another set of 5310s in my drawer but I don't have a guitar in need of pickups right now

I have a 2011 cu24 with round bobbin 5909s. It is my best sounding guitar.

So I were in your shoes, 5310s in hog ce

5909s in Hiland

I had them in an SC58, thought they were very cool. Compared to the 58/15LT (that I have) they’re rounder, warmer, and less bright, with a nice fullness on the fundamental, as opposed to overtones.

I’m sure they’d sound nice in any PRS, but they’d sound like they were designed to sound in a Maple top PRS.

Back