513 pickups

I know they all share the same pickups but what kind of magnets are there . I’m just just curious if they are different form regular pickups .

PRS has indeed changed the flavor of them from year to year. They also vary from model to model. I don't know what type of magnets they are as in materials, but they are blade magnets. Unlike other pick ups, they have no bobbins. The wire is directly wound on the magnet in a proprietary process developed by Winn.

Where the 513, 305, DC3, and Brent Mason all vary by number of winds, the 509's are even stranger. Each pair of singlecoils is the equivalent of an asymmetrical humbucker being that one has more winds than the other. Only the one with more winds is tapped like a 408. I also could swear the 509's use different wire as they have a clarity and articulation that is closer to 1957/2008's than the more McCarty like 513 pick ups.

There is a rumor floating around that 513 pick ups are descendant from bass pick ups, because they look similar to the Gary Grainger pick ups. But, Gary Grainger's for the most part aren't tapped except in some of the Private Stock models.

Last edited:
PRS has indeed changed the flavor of them from year to year. They also vary from model to model. I don't know what type of magnets they are as in materials, but they are blade magnets. Unlike other pick ups, they have no bobbins. The wire is directly wound on the magnet in a proprietary process developed by Winn.

Where the 513, 305, DC3, and Brent Mason all vary by number of winds, the 509's are even stranger. Each pair of singlecoils is the equivalent of an asymmetrical humbucker being that one has more winds than the other. Only the one with more winds is tapped like a 408. I also could swear the 509's use different wire as they have a clarity and articulation that is closer to 1957/2008's than the more McCarty like 513 pick ups.

There is a rumor floating around that 513 pick ups are descendant from bass pick ups, because they look similar to the Gary Grainger pick ups. But, Gary Grainger's for the most part aren't tapped except in some of the Private Stock models.
Great info!

It’s strange I really didn’t know much about the pickups in my ‘07 513s, even though they have been my go to guitars for a good while now. For once in my guitar playing existence, something worked and I actually left it alone!

I must admit the middle pickup on my Brent Mason is quite unique .. It has a sound all of its own...cannot wait to wind it up in a band situation once the Covid situation improves

I must admit the middle pickup on my Brent Mason is quite unique .. It has a sound all of its own...cannot wait to wind it up in a band situation once the Covid situation improves
I haven't yet to play my 513 in a band situation , I can't wait also for this crap to be over so I can start playing again. I had a friend call about starting a band but im still nervous about being in a small room with people I dont know.

Last edited:
I haven't yet to play my 513 in a band situation , I can't wait also for this crap to be over so I can start playing again. I had a friend call about starting a band but im still nervous about being in a small room with people I dont know.

I know the guys in my band.. but I’m still not happy enough with the current situation to spend a couple of hours in a hot room playing ... just have to be patient

Depending on the range of the band, the 513 excels! That, and an HB with piezo, and you can cover almost any territory.

I would like to make the neck pickup single coil only, so It will be single coil in all 3 pickup positions. This would eliminate the need to throw 2 switches when going from neck single to bridge humbucker. Is it possible and how do I mod?

Kit

Back