513 Pickups Swap?

Perry

I’m fast falling out of love with the pickups in my 513. At home volumes the guitar sounds perfect, but playing live, the neck pickup in particular seems to take on a life of its own, becoming microphonic in behaviour. My Custom 24 in the same situations has no such problem. I have checked all the wiring with a meter, including the 6 solder joints under each pickup and all is sound and as it should be. I have even wax potted the pickups to make sure the windings are not vibrating.

So my question is, has anyone successfully swapped out their 513 pickups? I’m in the UK so sending the guitar to PTC for any alterations is not feasible.

I’m fast falling out of love with the pickups in my 513. At home volumes the guitar sounds perfect, but playing live, the neck pickup in particular seems to take on a life of its own, becoming microphonic in behaviour. My Custom 24 in the same situations has no such problem. I have checked all the wiring with a meter, including the 6 solder joints under each pickup and all is sound and as it should be. I have even wax potted the pickups to make sure the windings are not vibrating.

So my question is, has anyone successfully swapped out their 513 pickups? I’m in the UK so sending the guitar to PTC for any alterations is not feasible.
I believe there’s a European PTC.

Before you change them out, is this something that European PTC could check under warranty?

Ok, I’ve emailed PTC Europe here in the UK to enquire about either a pickup repair or purchasing a new replacement.
If neither is possible then us 513 owners are basically screwed if our pickups fail as the sculptured pickup cavities don’t look as if they can accommodate any after market brand replacement.

Ok, I’ve emailed PTC Europe here in the UK to enquire about either a pickup repair or purchasing a new replacement.
If neither is possible then us 513 owners are basically screwed if our pickups fail as the sculptured pickup cavities don’t look as if they can accommodate any after market brand replacement.
Keep us posted

First of all it would be useful to know of what year the 513 is, @Perry.
PRS did change over the years the electrical parts of 513 more or less without any public announcement. The guitar model started with a PCB in the electrical compartment, which got a few revisions. The PCB era lasted from 2004 to 2014. As of this year and up to its date of discontinuing (end of 2016), the electric parts had been point-to-point soldered.
That being said, the last production line could be more sensitive regarding external emissions due to not improved shielding.
My 513 has been assembled in 2011, and I was presented an update to point-to-point by Paul personally in 2014. It took PRS UK some seroius efforts to fix the buzz after they installed the new wiring. In coincidence there was a 2014 513 in the work shop, because the owner was concerned about the buzz noise.
Share my best wishes to Nick Fraser, who's the head of Technical Department at PRS Europe. I recommend him very much, he will fix this. Swapping the 513 pickups is meant to take the 513 its unique selling points.

dY58jS7TUJTf-wKpi8EKBBXbQD-j0ZF22dHUYavIVAo=w1295-h971-no

Above depicted is the original layout, below the modified.

giu2J2RL70EmGJK8mXH9OTkEk4PUPtY1uvcL7MthYkU=w1727-h971-no

PRS put more shielding coat into the compartment, added additional shielding (coat and foil) into the bridge pickups cavity, intalled other cables, new switches, new potis.

Yes, mine is a 2011 and has the pcb in the cavity like yours. My problem is not so much the wiring, but the neck pickup itself, which has an intermittent break/connection. Ideally, and cost permitting, I would like to purchase a new neck pickup from PRS. I have emailed PTC Europe nearly 3 weeks ago but so far, no reply!

Back