513 Pickup Height

jchix

Hey All,

I have a 513 and the neck pickups seem too muddy/boomy/bassy to me (Compared to my 408 and Strat). I tried lowering the pickups to reduce the output and add some clarity which seemed to improve things, but not enough.

Any thoughts on how best to set the pickup height if I am going for more chime and clarity? PRS support says 3/32" from the string when depressed on the last fret, but it is unclear if that applies to the 513.

More info if relevant:
  • Hand-wired electronics (no circuit board)
  • Swamp Ash back
  • Maple Top
  • Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard
  • Tried many different strings

All I can add is try D`addario NYXL strings, they`ll brighten up almost any guitar, even if you don`t want them to.

I have a 513 and a 65 reissue Strat - IMHO - the 513 will not sound like a Strat (or a Tele) in single coil mode. I can come somewhat close, but no cigar..The 513 is a great all purpose guitar that can cover a lot of musical territory, especially helpful if you don't want to take lots of guitars to gigs, rehearsals etc.
Try upping the treble on your amp and turning down the bass. I do agree that the single coil sound out of the 513 is deeper & more rounded than a Strat, but I have not found mine to be "muddy" or "boomy"

All I can add is try D`addario NYXL strings, they`ll brighten up almost any guitar, even if you don`t want them to.

Thanks I'll try those - just ordered a set.

Try upping the treble on your amp and turning down the bass. I do agree that the single coil sound out of the 513 is deeper & more rounded than a Strat, but I have not found mine to be "muddy" or "boomy"

I've done a lot of amp tweaking and yes, treble boost makes the 513 sound really good. It is a great all-around guitar, but I don't think it is capable of the classic strat chime. Those pickups are too high output for that. Turning the volume down to about 7 is as close as I can get to a strat sound.

@jchix: Your 513 is not a really commercial off the shelf one with the combination of swamp ash body and maple top.
After dismounting my pickups to check what's signs could be found in the cavities, I had some struggle getting the pickups to the right height. PRS' homepage says this, PRS Europe said, a guitar magazine something else (I did mention that in the 513s thread, didn't I?). Therefore I called a friend, who's professional guitar tech, he plugged in the guitar at his amp and adjusted the appropriate height just by listening and comparing to the other pups (loudness).
I know that a 513 is not a Strat or a Tele but I did my practical research at the booth of Tele's and Strat's "father" with a lot of Teles (only classic two singlecoil layout, but cheap to expensive) at an international exhibition. I was not convinced by all of them. That experience drew the final line that I don't need to purchase a Tele. A real Strat was never on my wishlist, but I know my how to make my 513 MT sound like a Strat.
Anyhow, there might be experts around who've a different opinion.

@Maertl513 First of all... I love that 513 hat in your pic. I need to get one!

Strats have a distinct chime that I really like which is why I own one. Perhaps I am forcing a square peg into a round hole by trying to get the 513 to sound like that. I spec'ed out this 513 with swamp ash body, maple neck, and a steel trem block to make it anatomically similar to a strat, but they are so many other variables that could be making them sound different.

The characteristic I am missing is hard to describe. It is really a lack of articulation and I can hear it with the 513 unplugged too. I think some guys call it "bloom". My 408 and my strat have it, the 513 does not. It just goes to show that every part of the guitar influences the tone. Paul says it all the time and now I believe him.

Of course, a "classic" Strat has a unique chime. I played three other 513 (two MTs, one RW), all sounded amplified different in nuances. The tone and the volume poti work very effective, and that are my tools to get (very) close to a Strat, if I want to.
Whatever.

The 513 base cap is a very, very, very seldom item on market. I purchased that cap for more that 80 bucks a couple of month ago in the US.
There is an offer on eBay (from India): more than 170 bucks. The seller uses similar pictures likewise my trader. I suggest it's a fake.

Hey All,

I have a 513 and the neck pickups seem too muddy/boomy/bassy to me (Compared to my 408 and Strat). I tried lowering the pickups to reduce the output and add some clarity which seemed to improve things, but not enough.

Any thoughts on how best to set the pickup height if I am going for more chime and clarity? PRS support says 3/32" from the string when depressed on the last fret, but it is unclear if that applies to the 513.

More info if relevant:
  • Hand-wired electronics (no circuit board)
  • Swamp Ash back
  • Maple Top
  • Maple Neck with Ebony Fretboard
  • Tried many different strings

Jchix - you have that super classy 513, man that guitar is awesome!!

Thanks I'll try those - just ordered a set.

I've done a lot of amp tweaking and yes, treble boost makes the 513 sound really good. It is a great all-around guitar, but I don't think it is capable of the classic strat chime. Those pickups are too high output for that. Turning the volume down to about 7 is as close as I can get to a strat sound.

I agree, you can get close but it's not the real deal. I took George's advice (aka Dancing Frog) to run the volume at seven. It's a jack of all trades guitar.

Jchix - you have that super classy 513, man that guitar is awesome!!

Thanks! You made me realize I should make that 513 my avatar :)

At the end of the day, it is an amazing guitar. Maybe I'm just being too picky. I bet if it sounded exactly like a strat I'd say "It sounds too much like a strat". This is the blessing and curse of being a tone chaser.

Thanks for all the help!

Back