AragonWingfoot

A couple weeks ago a year or two of looking I picked up my first PRS, a beautiful Charcoal Burst 509. It’s just a fantastic guitar that tonality wise, achieves almost all classic tones in its own beautiful way. It’s a fantastic way to cover almost endless tonal territory without sacrificing a drop of tonal quality. However I looked for months and months before I ever knew this model existed. After checking them out I liked the way more than say a custom 24 because they weren’t flat. The 509 brings all sorts of harmonics that other guitars in the line simply don’t have. I think the 509 would solve the complaint many people have about PRSs sounding flat. Why don’t people talk more about them and why haven’t they gained popularity? Their only downside is the weird pickup style but who’s going to buy a $4000 guitar and change the most important part of its tone.

Last edited:
A couple weeks ago a year or two of looking I picked up my first PRS, a beautiful Charcoal Burst 509. It’s just a fantastic guitar that tonality wise, achieves almost all classic tones in its own beautiful way. It’s a fantastic way to cover almost endless tonal territory without sacrificing a drop of tonal quality. However I looked for months and months before I ever knew this model existed. After checking them out I liked the way more than say a custom 24 because they weren’t sterile. The 509 brings all sorts of harmonics that other guitars in the line simply don’t have. I think the 509 would solve the complaint many people have about PRSs sounding flat or sterile. Why don’t people talk more about them and why haven’t they gained popularity? Their only downside is the weird pickup style but who’s going to buy a $4000 guitar and change the most important part of its tone.

I don't find any PRS guitar flat or sterile. I may find some players of these other models to be some what dull and lifeless but I also see a lot of people rock these other models, play with heart and soul and make these guitars sing with much more dynamic, harmonic clarity than I hear from the same artists playing some other brands - especially with some gain.

I do like my 509 (pictured below) for its versatility and variety of tonal options that I can't get from my other PRS guitars. That in part is down to the design of this guitar and the inclusion of a middle Pick-up. The scale length too plays a part in that.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Lets be honest, its quite a different instrument to PRS Custom 22/24 or Pauls Guitar - all 25" scale double Humbucker type design. Different from a Silver Sky or 594, certainly different from the Hollowbody II as well - even if you compare the Pick-ups in the same area, whether Humbucker or Split, the 509s are different. Certainly not better and definitely not worse either - just different. Your 509 may just resonate more with you, maybe tonally more what you were looking for and/or prefer but I really don't think any of the PRS models are flat and sterile - maybe that's just the player?

I don't find any PRS guitar flat or sterile. I may find some players of these other models to be some what dull and lifeless but I also see a lot of people rock these other models, play with heart and soul and make these guitars sing with much more dynamic, harmonic clarity than I hear from the same artists playing some other brands - especially with some gain.

I do like my 509 (pictured below) for its versatility and variety of tonal options that I can't get from my other PRS guitars. That in part is down to the design of this guitar and the inclusion of a middle Pick-up. The scale length too plays a part in that.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

Lets be honest, its quite a different instrument to PRS Custom 22/24 or Pauls Guitar - all 25" scale double Humbucker type design. Different from a Silver Sky or 594, certainly different from the Hollowbody II as well - even if you compare the Pick-ups in the same area, whether Humbucker or Split, the 509s are different. Certainly not better and definitely not worse either - just different. Your 509 may just resonate more with you, maybe tonally more what you were looking for and/or prefer but I really don't think any of the PRS models are flat and sterile - maybe that's just the player?

The color/finish is indeed gorgeous. Regards AWF's comment about swapping out pickups, I think PRS addressed this several years back with their Swamp Ash Specials, though the guitar bodies were indeed swamp ash. The SAS sported 2 humbuckers and a single coil middle pickup. Although I think they discontinued the SAS, you can still find these used in various online and retail stores that sell used gear.

Though the color scheme is what sets the guitar apart from a mere SAS. The one posted above is a fine example of pulchritude.

BJ3Om6e.jpg

I know it may have sounded that I was dissing other models but this is absolutely not the case. I have liked every PRS I’ve played because they are fantastic instruments. I was only pointing out a common complaint about PRSs (let’s face it there aren’t many). I’m only wondering why the 509s aren’t more common or more advertised. I think they would be appealing to lots of players if they only played the 509.

Love all my PRS guitars... but LOVE my 509!!! (Sister to the @bodia guitar above... same run).

Another guitarist buddy of mine said something to the effect "that things spitting out beautiful harmonic overtones
all over the place..." the first night I gigged it (and he sat in for a couple tunes and played it as well).

51050368_10213601341371881_1461114150015991808_n.jpg

48369289_10213284139602035_2344466816882966528_n.jpg

Used to own this blue WL Hog/Maple 509 as well. Was a great guitar as well.
46118128_10213074849609916_3043245806824980480_n.jpg

Love all my PRS guitars... but LOVE my 509!!! (Sister to the @bodia guitar above... same run).

Another guitarist buddy of mine said something to the effect "that things spitting out beautiful harmonic overtones
all over the place..." the first night I gigged it (and he sat in for a couple tunes and played it as well).

51050368_10213601341371881_1461114150015991808_n.jpg

48369289_10213284139602035_2344466816882966528_n.jpg

Used to own this blue WL Hog/Maple 509 as well. Was a great guitar as well.
46118128_10213074849609916_3043245806824980480_n.jpg

That’s exactly how I would describe it, spitting upper harmonics. Mines just a simple mahogany neck and body rosewood fingerboard and maple top but somehow it has a fair amount of Strat in it. It really comes to life clean but that doesn’t mean it can’t bite when dirty.

To be honest I have always liked the guitars the were particular to PRS the 408, Pauls, 513/509 , Vela etc
I have a 513 that I love so I have not given the 509 a hard look.
betting that are killer guitars

I’d love a 509, but am I correct that you cannot get one with a Pattern Thin neck carve?

I’d love a 509, but am I correct that you cannot get one with a Pattern Thin neck carve?

I think you are correct. Unless of course you go PS, I think. Don't knock it till you try it though. I thought I wouldn't like my McCarty as much as I do because of the Pattern neck. Before my McCarty I played primarily LPs with slim tapered or 60's neck. I was set on a Pattern Thin neck. I will say the neck on my McCarty has grown on me a lot to the point it became my favorite guitar.

You can have PTC shave down the neck if it matters that much, but I personally feel the pattern regular neck fits with the mood guitar.

^ I got a similar suggestion for my McCarty. However, 1) I got used to the neck and learned to love it, and 2) I didn't want to potentially mess with the amazing tone of that guitar.

I don't find the Pattern Regular to be an issue. I do have a guitar with Pattern Thin and that is my Custom 24 which I think suits that guitar. Maybe its the style of guitar or the fact that its 22 frets like my HBii but I have no issues with it. Its not exactly that wide or fat either. Have you actually tried a 509 or are you just assuming its going to be an issue?

Yes like I said the pattern regular is great. I wouldn’t change anything about it. It suits the guitar very well

Yes, I’m making an assumption. I’d love to find one to try, but I haven’t seen one in a shop... anybody want to send me a loner??? :)

I bought a 513 once. It was my first PRS. It was a great guitar, but even though I got a great deal, for the price it wasn't exactly what I wanted. The main issues being, I didn't use the heavy humbucker mode, didn't like that the 3-way switched both pickups, and the color of the one I had just wasn't me. That said a 509 fixes all of these issues (as long as I buy a color I like), and has been on my radar ever since. I will own one someday. :)

Back