509 or 594 HBII?

509 or 594 HBII?

• Total voters

matonanjin

I went into my local store fully knowing what I was going to do. There was no question in my mind! I had often thought about the versatility of a 509 and what a great fun guitar it would be. And my local store got one in!!!! Decision made long before I got there, right? AND it's a blood orange and a 10 top and gorgeous!! Sheez, the decision is made. What could possibly deter me from my mission?!?! That mission: Drive to the store. Play the guitar as if the decision wasn't already made. Tell the store owner "I'll take it". Write a check. Go home and play it a bunch more. Somewhere in there I must sort out what all the 9 different tone choices, the switching, are. But does that really make any difference? Am I ever going to need those different tones? As if you don't know the answer to that question, the answer is "No" And then play it yet a lot more.

So I go there and playing it is just a formality. I'll play it for a bit just to go through the motions of acting like I'm making a decision. This is the guitar I am going to take home:
Beautiful Blood Orange. It is listed as formerly owned but I can't find a blemish on it.
509.jpg

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! I am sitting there playing the 509 and the store owner says, "And I just got this in." He is holding this:
594.jpg

He hands it to me. It is unbelievable! It is so damn gorgeous and LIGHT! And OMG it plays so nice! I will never play on stage. I know that. Why would I need 9 different tones?!?! If I should ever play on stage and need single coil bridge tones, I'll play my Strat, right?! But the 509 is cheaper and it would be nice and fun to have 9 tones! But the 594, even though a little more money, is also used and a better value. And it is light!!!!

For comparison purposes only, roughly, he is asking $3300 for the 509 and $4200 for the 594 HBII

Vote! What do I do? And after you vote please explain your reasoning!

I agree with all of the above, with the same reasons as @bodia - I have owned a 513 and as beautiful and interesting as it was, I don't miss it since it's been gone... I do own a 594 HBII and that's going in my will to one of my grandchildren.

Math is not my strong suit but I think you can get 8 different combinations on the 594 HB. You can also swap the pickups down the road if you want to for a different sound. It will be light and comfortable to play. Mine are more feedback resistant than you would expect for a hollow guitar so using gain/volume is not an issue. I still pickup a solid body more often but wonder why when I strap on a 594 HB. Great guitars than can cover a lot of ground. Assuming the price isn't an issue, the 594 would be the clear choice for me.

I may be a bit biased seeing as I have 3 594 HBs and have played exactly zero 509s.

Longtime fan of the 513, still own and play two of them. The 509 was an evolution of the design. Less options, a bit easier for most to get their head around, I guess. The 513 was PRS’s most versatile guitar, so I can’t imaging anyone would ever regret purchasing the 509.

Also own and love the 594 HBII and it’s a different, but equally satisfying, guitar to play. The lightness is great, yet the guitar sounds anything but lightweight. A bit heftier neck profile, but not so different that you can’t jump from one to the other between pattern and vintage with no real adjustment. Also not a guitar anyone should ever regret bringing home.

In the end, it really more comes done to what you play, and what kind of guitar you like. Fortunately for you, there are no bad choices on your list!

Both stunning guitars , Hmmm I do love my 513 and that 594 looks killer.
The HB 594 like my HB 1 is a niche guitar , hollowbodys come with some challenges ( for me )
That is a nice price on both guitars like the orange better
Both is the only correct answer sell your other guitars

Honestly, I couldn't find myself to vote since my own personal likes lean towards the 509. Like the others, the obvious is "Both", but I get where you couldn't! I would say since you are here, your heart is probably leaning towards the 594 but feel doubtful because your head was set on the 509. I will say this... play both again and let allow yourself to listen to your gut. The 594 is a great guitar with awesome sounds and you can get a LOT of tones out of it. I owned a 594 HB, but ended up selling it to upgrade to an MEV, since I have a 594SC. You won't be wrong with either guitar. And I will leave you with this, imagine you come home with one of the guitars, imagine you've had it for a week, would you be dreaming or wishing you had gotten the other? If so, which one would you be pining over? Good luck!

Both. Duh.

^this^

….and the Santana that’s hanging next to them.
Guys, I fully appreciate your logic on this and during different times would have just gone for both. I should do both, yes. I wish one of them had become available now and the other a year from now. But only one is an option right now and that is going to take quite a bit of domestic work. @sergiodeblanc you have met Mrs. matonanjin and you know she knows my guitars. If they both showed up she would know it. :( I made the mistake of teaching her about different guitars, like taking her to that CME PRS show, and am now regretting it. But that is an entirely different subject, isn't it?

So....I appreciate both your intelligence and opinions. With the knowledge that "both" is not an option, please vote.

Guys, I fully appreciate your logic on this and during different times would have just gone for both. I should do both, yes. I wish one of them had become available now and the other a year from now. But only one is an option right now and that is going to take quite a bit of domestic work. @sergiodeblanc you have met Mrs. matonanjin and you know she knows my guitars. If they both showed up she would know it. :( I made the mistake of teaching her about different guitars, like taking her to that CME PRS show, and am now regretting it. But that is an entirely different subject, isn't it?

So....I appreciate both your intelligence and opinions. With the knowledge that "both" is not an option, please vote.
Okay, I voted 509.

Just out of “gun to the head” preference, and the fact that there will always be another 594.

Back