509 middle position dead

RJK Tech

The middle position on my 509 blade switch leaves the guitar with no sound output. It’s acting like an off switch. All other positions are working fine.

I don’t know a trusted PRS guitar tech in my area. Any thoughts on what to look at? or troubleshooting ideas? thx

I had a 513 where this happened once. The issue was that I had lowered the middle pickup too much, and somehow that was shorting the signal to ground. (I had it lowered so it didn't get in my way playing) I raised it back up and it fixed the issue. Its possible yours is just low enough that its doing something similar. Might be worth a shot to raise it and see before spending money on it.

What area are you in? Maybe we can recommend someone to you if any of us here are close.

I had a 513 where this happened once. The issue was that I had lowered the middle pickup too much, and somehow that was shorting the signal to ground. (I had it lowered so it didn't get in my way playing) I raised it back up and it fixed the issue. Its possible yours is just low enough that its doing something similar. Might be worth a shot to raise it and see before spending money on it.

What area are you in? Maybe we can recommend someone to you if any of us here are close.

Thank you for that idea. i’ll give it a try. I’m in the Dallas area. If you know of a trusted tech here that would be excellent.

Thank you for that idea. i’ll give it a try. I’m in the Dallas area. If you know of a trusted tech here that would be excellent.
I don’t know any in that area but I’m sure someone here does. Did the pickup height help at all?

it’s on my to do list for this weekend. i’ll report back. thank you!

Guitar Sanctuary in Mckinney, TX. I've been in there before..I know they are a PRS dealer...however I don't know the situation there for Techs. If they have one they will fix it if you end up needing a tech. They may also be able too set you up with somebody as well. Probably worth giving them a call.

Back