5 Years Later, Still in Love

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
The 5 year anniversary of buying my Super Dallas just lapsed back in December. As in all long term relationships, there have been ups and downs but over all it has been a fantastic journey. Just yesterday, I took advantage of an empty house and setup the SuperD and pine 2x12 in the living room and let ‘er rip! These are the times that remind me of what a good decision I made 5 years ago.

To quell my continuous amp gas for something different, I bought a Kemper 6 months ago. It has been a game-changer, making quality practice possible 24x7, and simplifying my gig rig. With the right profiles it is a stunning piece of tech and I totally love it. Endless options. But, alas, it’s not the Super Dallas.

Rotating thru most of my guitars, those 4 hours proved to be some of the most meaningful in months. The total experience - at gig volume - is the magic. I can sound great with cans or thru a 1x12 but that glorious, house rumbling beauty of a 50w amp at 75% pushing multiple speakers cannot be matched with the Kemper (actually, it can, but I don’t have - nor want - the sound support to make it happen). I miss this aspect of the guitar experience.

One of the characteristics that make this stand out is the ability to let each guitar have its own voice. I’ll confess: my SuperD needs my OD pedals to shine this brightly. But man, with the KTR and BB Preamp stacked, look out! The BB breathes more mid range and sculpted EQ into the path, but it doesn’t muddy or bury the guitar. And there isn’t so much gain that dynamics are squelched. The 335 is the 335 despite leaving the rig settings in the perfect spot for the DGT, Les Paul, SE245, or Vela. And being perfectly honest, that took me 3 years to find this magic combination of pedals and settings.

Realistically, protecting my remaining hearing and practicing regularly are primary goals. The SuperD may not get used as much as the previous years, but it is still my benchmark/Standard to which everything else is compared. If I get the opportunity to have my SD professionally profiled, I’m jumping at it. Even a reasonable facsimile would help me enjoy this beauty when Mrs. B doesn’t want to share in that enjoyment. And I wouldn’t have to go so long without the joy of playing my favorite amp, either. The SD will always be my favorite...happy anniversary!

The 5 year anniversary of buying my Super Dallas just lapsed back in December. As in all long term relationships, there have been ups and downs but over all it has been a fantastic journey. Just yesterday, I took advantage of an empty house and setup the SuperD and pine 2x12 in the living room and let ‘er rip! These are the times that remind me of what a good decision I made 5 years ago.

To quell my continuous amp gas for something different, I bought a Kemper 6 months ago. It has been a game-changer, making quality practice possible 24x7, and simplifying my gig rig. With the right profiles it is a stunning piece of tech and I totally love it. Endless options. But, alas, it’s not the Super Dallas.

Rotating thru most of my guitars, those 4 hours proved to be some of the most meaningful in months. The total experience - at gig volume - is the magic. I can sound great with cans or thru a 1x12 but that glorious, house rumbling beauty of a 50w amp at 75% pushing multiple speakers cannot be matched with the Kemper (actually, it can, but I don’t have - nor want - the sound support to make it happen). I miss this aspect of the guitar experience.

One of the characteristics that make this stand out is the ability to let each guitar have its own voice. I’ll confess: my SuperD needs my OD pedals to shine this brightly. But man, with the KTR and BB Preamp stacked, look out! The BB breathes more mid range and sculpted EQ into the path, but it doesn’t muddy or bury the guitar. And there isn’t so much gain that dynamics are squelched. The 335 is the 335 despite leaving the rig settings in the perfect spot for the DGT, Les Paul, SE245, or Vela. And being perfectly honest, that took me 3 years to find this magic combination of pedals and settings.

Realistically, protecting my remaining hearing and practicing regularly are primary goals. The SuperD may not get used as much as the previous years, but it is still my benchmark/Standard to which everything else is compared. If I get the opportunity to have my SD professionally profiled, I’m jumping at it. Even a reasonable facsimile would help me enjoy this beauty when Mrs. B doesn’t want to share in that enjoyment. And I wouldn’t have to go so long without the joy of playing my favorite amp, either. The SD will always be my favorite...happy anniversary!

So, you like it?

I love it when the right piece of gear falls into the hands of the right player. The game of constantly flipping gear just to try out the latest-greatest thrill pales in comparison to drilling deep into a truly great one and learning how to use its nuances and shades.

If memory serves, I’m going to hit 4 years with the DG30 and HXDA this year, and I expect they’ll be with me for many more. I get it!

I love it when the right piece of gear falls into the hands of the right player. The game of constantly flipping gear just to try out the latest-greatest thrill pales in comparison to drilling deep into a truly great one and learning how to use its nuances and shades.

If memory serves, I’m going to hit 4 years with the DG30 and HXDA this year, and I expect they’ll be with me for many more. I get it!

I agree in theory, but in practice I find that rotating through amps gives me the chance to A/B with my faves and continue to explore/improve their tones. I am still at the beginning of what will likely be a long journey with the Archon.

So, you like it?
Meh, it’s okay, I guess. ;)

The key is to know when you have the right piece of gear. Learning to trust your instincts is part of it and considering all the research I did - and the wonderful advice I received - I felt confident in the choice. The coolest part is that I’ve accepted the direction the SuperD wanted to take me, and it’s now part of my sound as much as I’m part of it. Kinda zen. :cool:

I know you’ve had an excellent experience with your amps and hopefully that will last for years to come.

I agree in theory, but in practice I find that rotating through amps gives me the chance to A/B with my faves and continue to explore/improve their tones. I am still at the beginning of what will likely be a long journey with the Archon.
I'm on that same journey with the Kemper. The problem is, I’ve found some stunning Marshall stuff that is rocking my world. I’d love to say it was something exotic like a Dumble or a Train Wreck but it’s a Mike Britt ‘72 Marshall. Right now, I like it better than the ‘68 Plexi, and I can’t believe I’m saying that!

Last edited:
I’ve found some stunning Marshall stuff that is rocking my world. I’d love to say it was something exotic like a Dumble or a Train Wreck but it’s a Mike Britt ‘72 Marshall. Right now, I like it better than the ‘68 Plexi, and I can’t believe I’m saying that!

As you know, with an impulse response-based model, how the amp is set to record the IR matters. You might or might not feel differently with a real amp, because chances are you’d set it differently.

I’m not sayin’ only own one amp, though I certainly could live with any one of mine. What I’m suggesting is that hanging onto the best ones and learning their features is a good thing, and in the long run might, or might not, lead to greater satisfaction.

Depends on the amp, the context, the player, and who knows what else.

I spent too long flipping great amps. I wish I had a few of them back to play along with my PRS amps. The Two-Rock Onyx Sigs, for example, were keepers that I sold to my later regret.

Meh, it’s okay, I guess. ;)

The key is to know when you have the right piece of gear. Learning to trust your instincts is part of it and considering all the research I did - and the wonderful advice I received - I felt confident in the choice. The coolest part is that I’ve accepted the direction the SuperD wanted to take me, and it’s now part of my sound as much as I’m part of it. Kinda zen. :cool:

I know you’ve had an excellent experience with your amps and hopefully that will last for years to come.

I'm on that same journey with the Kemper. The problem is, I’ve found some stunning Marshall stuff that is rocking my world. I’d love to say it was something exotic like a Dumble or a Train Wreck but it’s a Mike Britt ‘72 Marshall. Right now, I like it better than the ‘68 Plexi, and I can’t believe I’m saying that!
I’m on a similar journey with the Kemper. You should try to profile your Super D, then I can try it! :) I’m in the no volume is the best volume zone since I play at home once my son is asleep - sigh. But that toaster is pretty versatile and those Britt profiles are pretty good. I sold my last amp after his profiles came out on it.

Nothing beats a great tube amp pushing real air though! But since I only have ‘virtual’ (read - very limited!) skills a virtual amp somehow seems appropriate!

I'm in the same boat. I went through multiple Gibsons, Fenders, and Ibanez (Ibanezes?....Ibanzi?....) before picking up my first PRS, and knew it was the one. Same story with amps and pedals. After Marshall, Fenders, Oranges, Peaveys, Hughes and Kettner, and a plethora of pedals, I found the sound I've been after in the Archon.

What a glorious past few weeks it has been ;)

Happy ampiversary!

It's a beautiful thing when amp does what you want (or makes you happily do what it wants) and you don't have to spend a whole session tweaking.

But, then it makes you actually focus on being critical of your playing.

Must be time for a new pedal!

Nice! I don’t think anything can beat that feel of playing through a tube amp at volume. I feel that way with the archon as well. I think the Kemper is cool and has its place. It gives you all the tones. To be fair, I’ve only played it through large studio monitors. But I haven’t heard people tout that it feels like you’re standing in front of said amp. That’s the part of playing guitar that is the most fun to me. I waste more time soaking tones at home sometimes than actual playing and being productive. It’s like sex, just feels good.

I can only imagine what your SD is like through your experiences. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel the same way about my C50, and H for that matter.
The Kemper has simplified things for me, and opened up a veritable cornucopia of solid, awesome tones. Some are crap too, but many are killer.
In the end, the organic, pant flapping awesomeness that is a well built tube amp will always win out.
But... there's room for alternatives, and to me the Kemper is the best alternative outside of tube.

Nice! I don’t think anything can beat that feel of playing through a tube amp at volume. I feel that way with the archon as well. I think the Kemper is cool and has its place. It gives you all the tones. To be fair, I’ve only played it through large studio monitors. But I haven’t heard people tout that it feels like you’re standing in front of said amp. That’s the part of playing guitar that is the most fun to me. I waste more time soaking tones at home sometimes than actual playing and being productive. It’s like sex, just feels good.
For live use, my Boogie MkIII is my power amp for the Kemper. This setup gives me the leg vibrating amp experience with the gorgeous profiles and my Kemper. It does color the profiles, but it brings the real amp character to the game. To my ears, it sounds pretty good.

Boogie kindly let me play his Super Dallas and his pedal board. I should also thank muh-man Markie cause it was at his house and I should probably thank everyone else who didn't seem to mind me noodling for hours on the thing. I play at pretty low volumes, so maybe that's why no one cared. Haha.

The amp and the pedal board was a bit of a revelation for me. I had never played what I was calling at the time a Grissom rig, my affectionate name for a clean to clean-ish amp with pedals in front of it. It was awesome. There's something about finding an amp that has a big and bold clean sound and then using that as your starting point, layering with things to taste. I went home after playing that rig and missed it. I fairly quickly built a very similar rig and it's my number one to this day.

Boogie rules!

And so does his rig!

Boogie kindly let me play his Super Dallas and his pedal board. I should also thank muh-man Markie cause it was at his house and I should probably thank everyone else who didn't seem to mind me noodling for hours on the thing. I play at pretty low volumes, so maybe that's why no one cared. Haha.

The amp and the pedal board was a bit of a revelation for me. I had never played what I was calling at the time a Grissom rig, my affectionate name for a clean to clean-ish amp with pedals in front of it. It was awesome. There's something about finding an amp that has a big and bold clean sound and then using that as your starting point, layering with things to taste. I went home after playing that rig and missed it. I fairly quickly built a very similar rig and it's my number one to this day.

Boogie rules!

And so does his rig!

You're right, bro, Boogie does rule! He'll be even more awesome when he gets a Santana! :p

Jesse, you’re too kind, bro. It does my heart well to hear that you found joy in something that brings me such joy. Sharing is awesome! Bodia, otoh...:rolleyes:

NAMM is not being kind to my potential Santana future. Arrived with zero GAS, and now I have cramps for something new. :eek:o_O

Jesse, you’re too kind, bro. It does my heart well to hear that you found joy in something that brings me such joy. Sharing is awesome! Bodia, otoh...:rolleyes:

NAMM is not being kind to my potential Santana future. Arrived with zero GAS, and now I have cramps for something new. :eek:o_O

Hugs and kisses!

I’m on a similar journey with the Kemper. You should try to profile your Super D, then I can try it! :) I’m in the no volume is the best volume zone since I play at home once my son is asleep - sigh. But that toaster is pretty versatile and those Britt profiles are pretty good. I sold my last amp after his profiles came out on it.

Nothing beats a great tube amp pushing real air though! But since I only have ‘virtual’ (read - very limited!) skills a virtual amp somehow seems appropriate!
Great advice. In fact, I talked with someone last week with some experience doing this stuff and will profile the SuperD. I have to make a road trip, but it will be well worth it. ;)

Back