5-way Blade Switch Wiring Question

squirrel211

I just wanted to verify what I think is correct:

On my Custom 24's 5-way blade switch, if I unsolder the thin red wire from ground wafer (closest to bottom of guitar) will that give me the neck slug coil only on position #4? Assuming position #5 is neck full humbucker.

The coil tap is simply unnecessary for what I like; I just want the bridge slug coil taken out of that position. I never liked the quack sounds on a strat!

That should do it, but to be certain you might be best removing the corresponding wire from the hot side too. If you look at this schematic: http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2015/custom_5wayblade.pdf, to get the neck slug on its own you need to desolder the red wire connected to the lug marked "Red Bridge Pickup(B)" on the ground side and the white wire from the corresponding lug on the hot side. It's the fifth from the left and has the arrow above "White Bridge Pickup(A)" pointing directly at it.

Glad to be of help. If you wanted to add a coil tap, I've posted a schematic here that gives all combinations of humbuckers and single coils. You'd probably hate it because it has a lot of combinations that quack. It does give you the neck and bridge slug coils on their own though.

I appreciate the schematic ADP! I think just this one modification to the 5 way switch with give me everything I'm looking for though! I'm waiting on a new soldering iron since I couldn't find mine, we moved not that long ago. Hopefully the results are similar to the fuller sound I get going to just the neck pickup from the middle/neck on my strat!

Back