5 way blade in SE, does it work?

lynnj163

Jeff Lynn
I'm sure this has been asked before but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for. I've got an SE that I've swapped in some 59/09's and recently been getting some noise when switching pickup positions. I thought if I'm replacing the switch I might as well use the US parts. So my question is, does the US 5 way fit in the SE's 3 way blade slot. I'm sure the tip will fit through but wasn't sure if maybe it had a longer throw and needed an longer slot or something. Thanks for any help!

You can also use a Fender 5-way switch. The wiring is slightly different but they're much cheaper and probably just as good quality. I've used one in an SE with a set of 59/09s.

All of the SE Custom 24s I've had (a 6-string and two 7-strings) have had the 3-way blade switch replaced by a 5-way/4-pole "super" switch. I've used super-switches from several different vendors including Fender and All Parts, and all of them have fit.

All of the SE Custom 24s I've had (a 6-string and two 7-strings) have had the 3-way blade switch replaced by a 5-way/4-pole "super" switch. I've used super-switches from several different vendors including Fender and All Parts, and all of them have fit.

You can also use a Fender 5-way switch. The wiring is slightly different but they're much cheaper and probably just as good quality. I've used one in an SE with a set of 59/09s.

Awesome, thanks fellas. I went ahead and ordered the 5 way from PRS. Paid more than I probably should but at least I know it will be up to the quality of the PRS the pickups cames from.

DON'T DO IT!!!!! Otherwise you will find you need to upgrade the tuners match a CORE; then you will feel like your not really committing to the cause. It's an SE wanting to be a CORE. But really strikes and you upgrade the bridge, tuners and all the electronics but DAMN that GAS!!! It tells you, its still an awesome SE wanting to be a CORE. And as Murphy's Law dictates, A CORE shows up to the doorstep to help the SE with awesome mod's fill good about itself!!!!

DON'T DO IT!!!!! Otherwise you will find you need to upgrade the tuners match a CORE; then you will feel like your not really committing to the cause. It's an SE wanting to be a CORE. But really strikes and you upgrade the bridge, tuners and all the electronics but DAMN that GAS!!! It tells you, its still an awesome SE wanting to be a CORE. And as Murphy's Law dictates, A CORE shows up to the doorstep to help the SE with awesome mod's fill good about itself!!!!

Lol, I've got a US made Custom 22 to keep it company as well so maybe I can avoid some of the GAS associated with the SE mods. I've already upgraded everything else (tuners, nut, pots, wiring, etc.) anyway except the switch because I hadn't had any issues with it until now. Now that its starting to cause problems and I've got to change it anyway, I don't see a reason not to spend the extra $40 and do it right since all the other electronics are US Spec. I honestly don't see myself spending any extra on a new trem system because mine is rock solid. Might have gotten lucky but I've never had a problem out of it.

Lol, I've got a US made Custom 22 to keep it company as well so maybe I can avoid some of the GAS associated with the SE mods. I've already upgraded everything else (tuners, nut, pots, wiring, etc.) anyway except the switch because I hadn't had any issues with it until now. Now that its starting to cause problems and I've got to change it anyway, I don't see a reason not to spend the extra $40 and do it right since all the other electronics are US Spec. I honestly don't see myself spending any extra on a new trem system because mine is rock solid. Might have gotten lucky but I've never had a problem out of it.
Murphy's law is about to commence!!! Start looking at John Mann's guitar vault to price out his S2/SE trem kit!!!!

There is one consideration nobody mentioned. And someone please correct me if they think I'm wrong here.

The polarity of the magnets in PRS core pickups is not the same as an industry standard humbucker set (while SE humbuckers do follow the standard pattern). The core bridge magnet is oriented to opposite polarity from a standard humbucker. That's so they can work with the switching arrangement on a Custom 22/24. Depending how you wire up that 5 way switch, I'm thinking you may or may not get some hum in positions you don't expect, or phase issues in some positions. If you wire it exactly the same way as a core Custom, everything should work great.

There is one consideration nobody mentioned. And someone please correct me if they think I'm wrong here.

The polarity of the magnets in PRS core pickups is not the same as an industry standard humbucker set (while SE humbuckers do follow the standard pattern). The core bridge magnet is oriented to opposite polarity from a standard humbucker. That's so they can work with the switching arrangement on a Custom 22/24. Depending how you wire up that 5 way switch, I'm thinking you may or may not get some hum in positions you don't expect, or phase issues in some positions. If you wire it exactly the same way as a core Custom, everything should work great.

Thanks for the info. I do plan on wiring it as from the factory, nothing special so hopefully I won't run into any issues there.

I flipped the magnet in one of my 59/09s for that reason. I wanted both humbuckers on in position three.

Do PRS pickups still use the same polarity now that the switching has changed to a mix of humbuckers and single coils in positions 2-4? I must check my P22.

Back