5 0001 and 5 0002

Thanks for the reply Les. I think we both like PRS, which is good given we're on a PRS Forum. I think the new and old are just different. I think the newer guitars are better in some ways - or at least more mainstream in things like switching and pickups (mainstream not meant in a pejorative way). I think in other ways all guitar makers have had their hands tied and I'm sure Paul (and Gibson with their Custom Shop reissues, for example) would still like to use BRW on more guitars (so not just on a few special runs). I've looked at a few Private Stock and been impressed and am planning to look at a few more when I get time. That said I also quite fancy a telecaster, so maybe there's no hope for me:eek:. All the best CW.

We’re all beyond hope, I’d guess!

I try not to say the new ones are “better.” It’s too subjective, and older PRSes are terrific guitars. But it’s also true that I like the recent models more.

While I appreciate important touches like ergonomics, I like the way the newer ones sound a bit more. The pickups are far more suited to my taste (and since the 5x/0x I don’t want to replace them), the finishes are thinner, have a feel I prefer and the guitars seem more resonant. Innovations like the 408 pickups, the Narrow fields, the switching options, are tangible, and I could go on and on.

The 594 neck carve that seems made for my hand, the locking Gen 3 trem - unbelievable how well the guitar stays in tune - the electronics, the brilliant design of the newer two piece bridges - these are improvements that make my day. But the bottom line’s the tone.

Truth is, I wouldn’t trade one of my current guitars for PRS 00001, guitar-for-guitar, except to make money on it; as much as I love history, fact is I’m not running a museum here at Studio Craptastic, this is a working person’s studio! ;)

I love it. That's super cool. I would love to play either of them to see what they're like. Owning one would be out of bounds! I'm digging the historical value of PRS more recently. I've always liked this stuff, but lately it seems even more...something...
I don't know, I might be headed toward mid life something or other?

I don't know, I might be headed toward mid life something or other?

I figure I’m always in the middle of life, and always in some crisis or other!

You might simply be appreciating all that PRS has accomplished in such a short time, and becoming interested even more in the stuff they’ve made?

It is my goal in the next 6 years to own a 1985 cu24. It's pretty safe to say that when I'd be done with it there will a gain in value.

I think the 80s prs guitars are incredible but like Les, I think the new prs guitars are better instruments. I have an 89 and I love playing it. I've been wanting to send it to PTC for a pro setup but I'm not so excited about shipping it.

I'm stuck in the 80s Les. I only retired my old Ping Eye 2 golf clubs last year after reluctantly agreeing Mr Ping's Golf Emporium had made some improvements in the passing couple of decades (Eye 2s were introduced in the early 1980s and replaced in 1993 - albeit after serveral updates - although remained available until circa 2001). That said I don’t like the newer wedges much, so my old Eye 2 lob wedge is back in the bag:)

My last and only set of golf clubs had wooden shafts, for real. They were my father’s old ones left over from the 1930s or 40s when he was young. They were in a simple canvas bag that was heavy as hell to carry around because he didn’t believe in kids having caddies.

At the club we belonged to at the time, carts and hand-pull bag holders were prohibited. You carried your own clubs (kids), the adults had caddies.

Back