408 vs. Mccarty 594

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by fgeorge097, Dec 29, 2016.

1. fgeorge097

fgeorge097 New Member

Which is the bigger, fatter sounding guitar for rock music?

2. Base6

Base6 Guitar Addict

Having both, I'd say, you can't go wrong with either. Preference depends on what you wanna go for. Both pickups are vintage voiced, but the 408s do take gain very well. The 58/15LTs are probably lower output, but the scale length makes a lot of difference. As it's shorter, you get a deeper low end. The 25" scale is tighter on the lows.

I mostly play rock too, but the 594 is everything the famous 4-knob contender should have become.

3. CatStrangler

CatStrangler PRS Enthusiast

So far for stoptail guitars, I personally prefer the one piece and the 25" scale length, but I go for a punchier tone with stoptails. I would guess (haven't played one) the 594 will be fatter and rounder and a Mccarty with a two piece (not produced outside of PS AFAIK) as perhaps a perfect in between.

4. Bfarmer

Bfarmer New Member

I would like to hear more on this topic. I've never tried the 408, but I'm very interested in one.

5. bluefade

bluefade New Member

The ONE that sounds bigger and fatter to you...Our bigger might be smaller than yours and our fatter might be thinner ...it's all very subjective ...a matter of preference...

6. Rider1260

Rider1260 New Member

I have 2 different 408 guitars ( love them both ) both are very big and full sounding , that said they have ( to me ) a unique EQ, more even ( flat ) or balanced from low to high than most other Humbucker guitars.
    In the very limited time I have had on a 594 I would say with its thicker body and neck and shorter scale that they can be fuller sounding.

But if I only bring one guitar to a jam it a 408

( the frost one is mine :) and so is the pedal :) )

and this Brushstroke 24 is rocking my world also !!

[​IMG]

dogrocketp likes this.
  7. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Plugged In.

The 594 packs fat vintage short scale tone.

The 408 is higher gain, tighter and faster sounding, but rolls out very nicely. The splits on both are really nice.

Newer rock? 408.

Classic rock? 594.

Play both? Hahahahahahahahahah...

8. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

The 408 pickups have a wider frequency response, and drive an amp differently than a traditional humbucker. But they do drive it very well.

58/15s have plenty of clarity, too, but perhaps with a different and more pronounced lower midrange, which is what a lot of people describe as "fat."

I tend to agree with ViperDoc, but describing tone in words is always tricky. You would be doing yourself a favor by playing both before laying out the dough.

Maertl513 and vox801 like this.
  9. PLuan

PLuan New Member

I have two 408s, one with pattern thin neck, one with rosewood pattern neck. They both sound glorious and push the amps well. To me those two guitars sound rather similar. The 408 pickups have a very unique gain structure. I've sold all my other HH guitars since I got them.
    Unfortunately I haven't tried a 594 yet. But I really dislike that toggle switch on the upper horn. To me a les paul toggle switch on a double cut guitar just looks horrible.