408 TCI upgrade?

Pat McGroin

Hi,

I have a ‘13 408 Artist Package quilt top, maple neck, brazzy board. Love, love, love it. My interests are...

Can they add TCI tech to older models?
Any idea of cost, if so?
Has anyone A/B’d TCI vs original...worth it?
Any idea how long this would take to upgrade?

She plays like butter, and sounds good, but the junkie in me asks “could it be better?”.
Facts & opinions appreciated.

thanks

PRS is in the Guitar making business you can have TCI pickups you just need to buy a new guitar :) way more $$$ in selling the guitar then just pickups.
To be honest I think TCI is something they have been chasing for years the original Signature version of the 408 then the Pauls I willing to bet were early examples.

So basically, you’re all telling me his statement that he wants to take them all back in, and make them better is bulldung, no?

So basically, you’re all telling me his statement that he wants to take them all back in, and make them better is bulldung, no?

Mmmm.... no.

Paul can say what he would like to do. But he doesn't just get to do that.

He's part of a business that's about making money, and if they figure they can make more money by selling new guitars than by taking back old ones and improving them, well what is that business going to do?

Putting it the other way around, do you want to send your guitar in, pay several hundred bucks, wait some months to get it back better than it was?

If most PRS players wanted that, the PRS PTC would be making money hand over fist, and the company would be marketing it hard. But they're not.

They're doing better (and he's doing better) by building and selling new guitars. So I think they're gonna keep doing that. And hopefully keep doing the PTC thing on the side for us diehards who love the guitars we've already got and want to make them a little better. Because we're crazy.

The evolution of PRS is a journey of constant improvement (or attempting to do so), whilst keeping a successful business model.

Paul and Jack know that most of us are “magpies” and put a lot of great engineering/technology on board too!

Mostly marketing, slight tweak to either winds or the circuit is my guess

pat I think I know you, is your cousin cupmcball? :D

So basically you all are saying his comments about gladly taking his old guitars back in to make them better is a lie, because they need to sell new ones. I understand that.

I’m not moving my guitar, it’s awesome. Just don’t blow smoke up my ass saying you’ll improve it when you really actually won’t.

You’re security here?

seriously... why can’t this happen? I said I’m not buying another guitar, but I’d gladly pay to upgrade.

Can someone who actually works for the company give me an answer, please?

They’ll refinish an old guitar, mr smartypants. They want to sell new guitars, duh. What’s different?

Back