408 Pickups Microphonic? - Brent Mason Sig

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by telewolf, Jul 1, 2016.

1. telewolf

telewolf New Member

I was practicing along and noticed that the 408 pickups are microphonic? I played a song from my phone and held the speaker up to the pick up and, bam it was coming straight out of the amp as if it were mic'd? Anyone else seen this?

2. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Phone speaker (magnet) acting on the strings/pickup, no big deal. Unless the guitar is squealin' like a pig, I wouldn't be concerned.

3. CantankerousCarl

CantankerousCarl Occasionally Onery Member

I had an OLD Ibanez Musician MC300 - those pickups squealed like a pig. And they were sealed in epoxy or something, so you couldn't fix them once they went. Fun for basements, impossible to play out with!

4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

Guitar pickups are inherently microphonic to a degree. It varies from pickup to pickup.

That's why covered pickups are usually wax potted.

When I was a kid in the 60s we had a lot of fun putting transistor radios on top of our guitars and playing the radio through our amps.

5. swede71

swede71 Tja ba!L├Ąget?

6. kbprs

kbprs New Member

This will happen with almost any pickup to some extent, especially if you put a small speaker with a high-flux magnet against the coil... it's probably picking up more electromagnetic field than actual audio. :)

That being said, I do feel like the */15s aren't as heavily potted, and perhaps the "BH" 408Ns are less potted as well. IMHO it's a good thing.