408 Pickups Microphonic? - Brent Mason Sig

telewolf

I was practicing along and noticed that the 408 pickups are microphonic? I played a song from my phone and held the speaker up to the pick up and, bam it was coming straight out of the amp as if it were mic'd? Anyone else seen this?

I had an OLD Ibanez Musician MC300 - those pickups squealed like a pig. And they were sealed in epoxy or something, so you couldn't fix them once they went. Fun for basements, impossible to play out with!

Guitar pickups are inherently microphonic to a degree. It varies from pickup to pickup.

That's why covered pickups are usually wax potted.

When I was a kid in the 60s we had a lot of fun putting transistor radios on top of our guitars and playing the radio through our amps.

I was practicing along and noticed that the 408 pickups are microphonic? I played a song from my phone and held the speaker up to the pick up and, bam it was coming straight out of the amp as if it were mic'd? Anyone else seen this?

This will happen with almost any pickup to some extent, especially if you put a small speaker with a high-flux magnet against the coil... it's probably picking up more electromagnetic field than actual audio. :)

That being said, I do feel like the */15s aren't as heavily potted, and perhaps the "BH" 408Ns are less potted as well. IMHO it's a good thing.

Back