408 Pickups (408/Brent Mason)

telewolf

I am wondering if their are different revisions that have been made to the 408 pickups, both in the 408 /Brent Mason/Paul's Guitar from when they were first introduced to the latest models coming off the line. I remember Paul spoke at a clinic about new version -

There's the neck 408, 408 Bridge, and the Narrow 408 which is what's in the Brent Mason and Paul's guitar bridge position.

At least from my understanding

Thanks, i understand the different types of 408 pickups i was wondering if their had been different iterations of say the narrow 408, etc. since its first release.

I curious about the part in the video where Paul says he wants to put these(pickups in guitar in Paul's hand) in your guitar (Brent's Guitar).

I had a 408 (now sold) and I have a Signature Limited which both are supposed to have the same spec 408 pickups. To my ears, the pickups in my Signature Limited has primarily a better split tone than the 408. It could well be because of different woods, the neck on the 408 was a pattern thin and the Signature Limited has a pattern nick, or just the fact that I prefer the Signature Limited in general so I want it to sound better.

There is a difference in electronics for the BM, at least. I can't remember if the pickups are the same - there MIGHT have been a difference in an earlier version of the BM, but the specs say they are the same on the product page now.

Yes i think the resister that is put in to the regular 408s to achieve a sweeter sound is taken out of the Brent Mason model to give it more high-end bite.

Last edited:
I had a 408 (now sold) and I have a Signature Limited which both are supposed to have the same spec 408 pickups. To my ears, the pickups in my Signature Limited has primarily a better split tone than the 408. It could well be because of different woods, the neck on the 408 was a pattern thin and the Signature Limited has a pattern nick, or just the fact that I prefer the Signature Limited in general so I want it to sound better.

If you look at the schematic for a sig ltd and a 408 there is a subtle difference (the sig ltd has a cap coupling that the 408 lacks) the Brent mason appears to be similar to the sig ltd (with an extra pickup) I have a sig ltd and find that it gets darker/more compressed as you increase the volume this seems logical to me given its circuit I have often thought of adding a switched tone pot to give me the options of sig ltd & 408 schematic but never got round to it ;-)

Back