408 Options - Rosewood v Mahogany neck

JeremyMitchellBand

Hi everyone, just wanted to get some feedback and or thoughts or some of the options on the new 408, in particular the neck options.
How much difference in tone is there between a mahogany neck as opposed to a rosewood neck?
How much difference is there between pattern vs pattern thin?

In Australia so don't have a lot of options here to try the different types.

Currently playing a Swamp Ash Special Narrowfield - pattern regular.
Thanks

Hey mate, I doubt there's many here who have had a chance to A/B 408s with both necks, but there's plenty of experience with other models with hog vs RW necks.

We're all dead keen to find out how the 4 different wood options sound (MT Vs Standard, Hog vs RW neck)!

Whereabout in Aus are you?

Whenever my order for a 408 standard with a rosewood neck comes in I will try to help in the differance in tones:408:

How much difference in tone is there between a mahogany neck as opposed to a rosewood neck?
How much difference is there between pattern vs pattern thin?
Thanks

As was nemtioned, I won't be able to compare 408's, but I can compare McCartys or Cu22's. First the easy one: Pattern Vs. Pattern Thin. The pattern will be more comfortable (for normal to larger hands) but the pattern Thin will be faster. Now the one that is much more subjective. The rosewood will make the sound more "low to midi". I personally don't hear a lot of difference in tone from my rosewood necks compared to the mahogany ones, what I notice most is the smooth feel, they are so smooth and effortless to slide up the neck. Mine are both W/F and they feel wider and fatter than my other W/F necks but I like that.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I'm thinking a 408 standard - rosewood neck - pattern - hybrid hardware... now to think of the colour... hmmm

I got the same taste here. and not sure about the color either. One thing I know, I'll wait until February (Winter Namm), to order it. If they release a 408 with piezo will be perfect for me.

maybe a 408 hollowbody with piezo is around the corner?

not a bad idea either. I think the 513 is a new platform with new electronics, but the 408 is just new electronics, so they should offer it in different configurations. a singlecut and hollowbody versions could be next step. a limited edition of a JA 15/408 (JA408) could be interesting too.
also is the Piezo thing. Why offer just in HB's and now in the McCarty package? I think they will spread the options. we just have to sit down and wait a little while.

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate it. I'm thinking a 408 standard - rosewood neck - pattern - hybrid hardware... now to think of the colour... hmmm

PRS408-01.jpg

Back