408 humbucker sound in a Custom 24

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
I am not a huge fan of the HFS/Vintage pickups in my Custom 24. Anyone have suggestions on replacement pickups that would get close to the 408 humbucker sound?

It's only opinion but 5909, 5708 or 5310s will make that guitar sound soooooo much better.

You'll want to post a NGD.

I would add the 85/15's to that list too. Of course it depends on the OP and the sound they prefer but there is a reason the newer Custom 24's come with 85/15's. Its also easier to find out if this is the 'right' pick-up to replace the HFS/Vintage combination because you can go to a retailer and try a few of the new Custom 24's and hear the 85/15's on those which should give the OP an idea how these will sound in their guitar. I know it won't be the 408 sound but it might be closer than some of the more classic sounding PU's

Availability of Pick-ups though may be an issue and if you do find a set, they might not be very cheap - certain;y not cheap enough to buy set after set until you find the one you want. If you try a modern Custom 24, you would at least know whether the 85/15's are closer to what you are looking for.

I agree re: the 85/15s, but I also agree that the 59/09s are excellent with the CU 24. Oh, and I love the 53/10s, though they do kind of a unique thing that might be an acquired taste.

You can see how wishy-washy I am on this subject.

The 408s have a flatter EQ curve than most any pickup ( humbucker) I have ever tried/owned they cut thru a mix better than most humbuckers and sound best in a group or jam setting IMHO, Oh and the splits are Unreal almost like an add treble option I often play my 408 and Brushstroke 24 just split.
As far as overall tone tho if your not a VB/HFS guy the look at McCartys , Miras/245 ( covered IMHO ) , 57/08 , I don't care for 59/09s in the thinner bodied Customs (22/24) as there are a bit brighter to my ears or if you could get a set of 58/15mt from PTC that would be :)

Back