408 humbucker sound in a Custom 24

Silvertree

I love the smell of a PRS case in the morning.
I am not a huge fan of the HFS/Vintage pickups in my Custom 24. Anyone have suggestions on replacement pickups that would get close to the 408 humbucker sound?

Mozzi

https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy/posts
It's only opinion but 5909, 5708 or 5310s will make that guitar sound soooooo much better.

You'll want to post a NGD.

I would add the 85/15's to that list too. Of course it depends on the OP and the sound they prefer but there is a reason the newer Custom 24's come with 85/15's. Its also easier to find out if this is the 'right' pick-up to replace the HFS/Vintage combination because you can go to a retailer and try a few of the new Custom 24's and hear the 85/15's on those which should give the OP an idea how these will sound in their guitar. I know it won't be the 408 sound but it might be closer than some of the more classic sounding PU's

Availability of Pick-ups though may be an issue and if you do find a set, they might not be very cheap - certain;y not cheap enough to buy set after set until you find the one you want. If you try a modern Custom 24, you would at least know whether the 85/15's are closer to what you are looking for.

LSchefman

Historical Entity
I agree re: the 85/15s, but I also agree that the 59/09s are excellent with the CU 24. Oh, and I love the 53/10s, though they do kind of a unique thing that might be an acquired taste.

You can see how wishy-washy I am on this subject.

Rider1260

The 408s have a flatter EQ curve than most any pickup ( humbucker) I have ever tried/owned they cut thru a mix better than most humbuckers and sound best in a group or jam setting IMHO, Oh and the splits are Unreal almost like an add treble option I often play my 408 and Brushstroke 24 just split.
As far as overall tone tho if your not a VB/HFS guy the look at McCartys , Miras/245 ( covered IMHO ) , 57/08 , I don't care for 59/09s in the thinner bodied Customs (22/24) as there are a bit brighter to my ears or if you could get a set of 58/15mt from PTC that would be :)