35th Anniversary SE Custom 24 truss rod cover doesn't sit flush

satrsmndri

Just picked up one of these secondhand and noticed something odd I've never seen before on a guitar. The truss rod cover doesn't sit flush with the headstock because the truss rod nut is sticking out, preventing the cover from sitting flat against the surface around it.

The previous owner claims it came like that from the factory but I feel like QC would have caught something like that. One side of the truss nut is also shaved down (unfortunately not the side that gives the best neck relief) and the underside of the truss cover is scraped out a bit I'm assuming in an attempt to correct this flaw.

Is this a common thing or maybe the truss rod got damaged/knocked around? On a surface level it bothers me that it's sticking out like that and I'm also thinking something happened to it to cause this. Aside from that the truss rod still functions but I do see a tiny gap in the wood beneath the truss nut ever so slightly but it's impossible to photograph.

lt6gatw.jpg

5fjEKx9.jpg

y9M7mmg.jpg

fESyFLX.jpg

Yeah, sorry man. But does it play good and feel good to you?

It does play well. It just bothers the heck out of me and I wonder if something structurally is off inside that I can't see. Appreciate the reply though, at least I know I'm not crazy.

I may return it because this will also affect resale value down the line and the seller didn't mention it at all.

I may return it because this will also affect resale value down the line and the seller didn't mention it at all.

If it wasn't disclosed I would return it or come to a compromise. He's already admitted to knowing it was this way. That's poor selling ethics. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to stuff on guitars but when you don't disclose something you know you should is another story.

If it plays great and everything else is order I'd be willing to to come to an agreement.

If it wasn't disclosed I would return it or come to a compromise. He's already admitted to knowing it was this way. That's poor selling ethics. I'm pretty lenient when it comes to stuff on guitars but when you don't disclose something you know you should is another story.

If it plays great and everything else is order I'd be willing to to come to an agreement.

Yeah, I always provide detailed photos of every flaw when I sell so it really grinds my gears when people try to sneak stuff through. He didn't want to budge so I'm waiting on Reverb's judgment now. Wish me luck.

It also looks uncharacteristically rough where the nut joins the neck, as though something happened to that area of the guitar. I've never seen anything like that on a PRS either, and I'd also return it (if possible).

Yeah, I always provide detailed photos of every flaw when I sell so it really grinds my gears when people try to sneak stuff through. He didn't want to budge so I'm waiting on Reverb's judgment now. Wish me luck.

Good luck! let us know how it turns out.

Yeah.....that aint normal. None of my SE's have the truss rod nut playing peekaboo, so this ain't normal. Not sure what is causing this, could be an incorrectly installed rod, a bent rod, or maybe nothing but this might be a harbinger of problems down the road that are not fixable. When it comes to truss rods, err on the side of caution. Best course of action is to return it.

Definitely not right. How it got that way, I have no idea. If there was no disclosure or pictures showing that on the sale, I’d think reverb would side with you. By all accounts, they tend to side with the buyer on these issues.

That ain’t right.

Like other guys have said, don’t f@ck about when it comes to truss rods.

That could be an uneconomical repair right there.

Pack it up and send it back. (If you can)

Back