35th anniversary custom 24 SE output jack dropped

Sakkepoi

Hi,
Just got my first electric yesterday. It is beauty and feels super good. However today when I was pluggin guitar, the outputjack dropped in to the guitar. Is It easy to fix? Should I even try to fix it or just return the guitar?

Damn

Hi,
Just got my first electric yesterday. It is beauty and feels super good. However today when I was plugging in the guitar, the output jack dropped in to the guitar. Is It easy to fix? Should I even try to fix it or just return the guitar?

Did the retaining ring come loose? If it just needs a retaining ring, and you can get the jack back into position, then it's not a big deal. Also, if you bought it from a local store you could bring it in and they could do it. If it's more serious than that returning it would make sense.

Hi,
Just got my first electric yesterday. It is beauty and feels super good. However today when I was pluggin guitar, the outputjack dropped in to the guitar. Is It easy to fix? Should I even try to fix it or just return the guitar?

Damn

Return the faulty guitar. Plain and simple. Looks like QC on these SE guitars is very poor. My first one was fresh out the box and had a thumbprint-sized circular crack in the finish and the replacement had the 6 knife-edge pivot screws at differing heights. Also the tone pot of both guitars crackled when turning below '3'.

The more I played it, the more I was aware of a brittleness to the treble on each pickup setting. The 35th SE just wasn't anywhere near as good sounding as my other PRS so I returned it to the store on Thursday and I've now got something that isn't a PRS but has been on my 'to get' list for years.

Hope you get the issue sorted out.

Return the faulty guitar. Plain and simple. Looks like QC on these SE guitars is very poor. My first one was fresh out the box and had a thumbprint-sized circular crack in the finish and the replacement had the 6 knife-edge pivot screws at differing heights. Also the tone pot of both guitars crackled when turning below '3'.

Well, the guitars you received had more serious issues. If he likes the guitar and it just has a loose jack it would make sense to fix it. I have two SE Custom 24s; one was perfect on arrival and the other had a problem with the p/u selector switch which was replaced under warranty. They play and sound fine.

If you still have the nut, you can see if you can us a dowel or pencil to push the threads back out and tighten the nut. The last time I worked on one of my guitars I put a little blue (not red!) locktite on the threads to prevent any inadvertent loosening.

...I have two SE Custom 24s; one was perfect on arrival and the other had a problem with the p/u selector switch...

So in this thread we've accounted for 5 SEs between us and 4 had issues with QC. Though it would be remiss of me not to say all Core PRS I've played have been excellent.

As someone who is waiting on one of these, I hope the guitar is what I am hoping for. I can fix most issues, brittle treble sounds bad especially since the TCIs are supposed to be more vintage sounding.

Hi! Thanks for your replies, it was indeed loose retaining ring. It was easy to fix but still feels a bit sketchy... What is this "brittleness sound"?

I ordered guitar from thomann so I have 30 days to return it. Since its my first electric im not sure, if I will notice all little faults if there is more.

So in this thread we've accounted for 5 SEs between us and 4 had issues with QC. Though it would be remiss of me not to say all Core PRS I've played have been excellent.

......out of literally thousands being purchased.....everything sold has at least some level of issues or else no company would have a warranty department. I would gladly rock one of these new SE’s without worry, the Starla stoptail looks tasty.

Hi! Thanks for your replies, it was indeed loose retaining ring. It was easy to fix but still feels a bit sketchy... What is this "brittleness sound"?

Does the guitar sound brittle to you?

Understood...
I'm just pointing out that for the output jack to be unfastened on a brand new PRS guitar, even an SE, is just - crappy "quality control"....

I agree. If I order a guitar and get the one out of a thousand that has an issue it's still a disappointment. I deal with this possibility by not buying mail order whenever possible. I ordered my SE CU24 through Guitar Center and had it shipped to the local store. That way I could unbox and check it out before accepting it. If you buy an instrument online it's good to be prepared to return it if there's a problem; that minimizes the disappointment.

Hi everyone, allow me to clarify what I described as a brittleness within the treble though please don't take this to be a damning criticism of the guitar's sound, it's just the opinion of one person.

Just for info, I've been playing for about 35 years and have owned plenty of guitars. I currently have 5, each from a different manufacturer so I've got quite a few pickups to refer to for comparison.

Initially everything sounded ok as I got to know the guitar and compared it to my others in terms of tone & feel. I'd put on a new set of Super Slinky 9-42s so was aware there'd be that 'new string brightness' but the more I played through the clean channel of my Boogie during the week, the more I was sure of what I'd describe as a brittleness to the higher frequencies irrespective of the pickup(s) selected. To my ears this was most noticable on the G, B & E strings when strumming chords. The perceived sound wasn't glassy in the high-end like, say, the in-between sounds of an Ibanez Jem but instead it seemed to manifest as an 'edginess' that I didn't like. The more I played, the more I became aware of it. Turning the guitar's tone pot down to about 7 cured the issue but it also rolled off some of the other harmonic character of the sound.

Perhaps I'm unlucky and the tone pot was faulty in other ways (it was slightly crackly from 3 - 0, afterall). Perhaps the sound I heard was a psychosomatic response to the other QC issues. Perhaps the other 3499 owners will be delighted. I can only give my own perspective so I'd urge other prospective owners to decide for themselves and not let the proclamations of one man cloud their own judgement - one man's brittleness is another man's brilliance.

Disclaimer: your mileage may vary, terms & conditions apply, offer void in Wyoming.

......out of literally thousands being purchased.....everything sold has at least some level of issues or else no company would have a warranty department. I would gladly rock one of these new SE’s without worry, the Starla stoptail looks tasty.

SEs sold here in the UK have gone through 2 QC processes - at the factory and at the PRS European Tech centre. How likely is it for two independant QC departments to miss the same things? Not impossible but these aren't cheap products so the customer should expect high standards. I sorted the knife-edge screws myself but for less experienced owners, they could have just accepted things as they are therefore causing undue wear to the knife-edge.

Minor issues are things that can be fixed in 5 minutes or less. I’m 5 deep in SE’s, and have bought and resold 40 or so to make money to buy my “good” guitars. None of the SE’s I’ve bought and sold had issues that couldn’t be sorted quickly. The high end thing could very well be the OP not setting the balance on his amp. That’s the first thing I do after I plug in.

The high end thing could very well be the OP not setting the balance on his amp.
I was surprised by the extra top end I found the first time I plugged in a PRS. I wasn’t used to that coming from a humbucker, but I learned to make better use of the tone knob.

Maybe his situation is similar?

I love my SE but when I initially played it, I immediately noticed a harsh, or brittle, upper end. The sound literally hurt my ears. I swapped the cap for a .047 and it takes the time issues quite a bit but also robbed me of some nuance. I then swapped out the entire wiring harness and the the stock pups came alive without the harshness and lack of nuance. The highs are now glassy and round and beautiful!

Back