305: PRS’s redheaded stepchild?

I loved the 305 spec so much I used it as the basis for a Private Stock. Decided on a hardtail.

FT305-18-X4.jpg
See, that's more like it. If there were more 305s like that out there (minus the private stock cost mind) then I'm sure they'd have been much more popular. Add standard single coil sized pickups hard mounted to the body, maybe with the odd bridge humbucker option too and you'd have a winner - just look how popular things like the ibanez AZ line is these days

It appears to be a 513 with only single coil pickups and one less selector. Is it definitely 25.5” scale or 25.25 like the 513? Also, would this be different enough from the 513 to justify owning both?

There are a few prototypes floating around, you might want to wait and see if you can snag one. They have a few unique features you won't find on production models. This one has coil tapping and phase switching, which lets me get Strat-like sounds as well as some Brian May-ish sounds.

51021055816_bec4f7a272_c.jpg
Hey, I just bought one of these prototypes from guitar center. Just wondering how much you initially paid for this so I can see if I got a raw deal or not. Also, what is the body made of? it looks like one piece flame maple.

Since this thread has just resurfaced - I want to chime in as a 305 owner. Really like this guitar. For me some strats that a lot of people love are thinner sounding that I want to play for a whole set. The 305 can get close to that thinner sound with the volume turned down to 7 or 8. I love that. But I also live more with the thicker sounds of vol on 10. It's thicker with clarity. And mine howls with sustain with a little OD. For me, this fits better than a silver sky would. But I understand we all look for tones that resonate for us. BTW - mine is a plain looking red color. I would prefer a little more more modern look, but that will be it's charm as time marches on I think. Simple looking high quality guitar.

It appears to be a 513 with only single coil pickups and one less selector. Is it definitely 25.5” scale or 25.25 like the 513? Also, would this be different enough from the 513 to justify owning both?

The 513 (now 509) is definitely a different beast from the 305. 305 was maple neck, alder body and 25.5” scale with only single coil mode. The 513 was meant to try to bridge the gap between a strat and core PRS with the same pickup system but unique switching. Most of the time the 513 was build like a regular core with maple top, and mahogany back and neck

I know old post , I own both and just snagged a 305 24th Anniversary this year, yes it is different enough IMO maple neck and 25.5 scale and Alder body, a great guitar !

What kind of Starla gone wild is that???

That’s a PTC Custom that was made for me by Skitchy. It started life as an Korina SE One and left the factory as you see it here.

And love the taste in amps. Kitty cat :p

Thanks. I had the former (and late) owner of Bad Cat Amps make that for my daughter; before he sold the company.

Back