3 Mike 7-12

If that guitar were coming out of the hallway I work in, it would probably leave as a bass boat sparkle, and it would be awesome

If that guitar were coming out of the hallway I work in, it would probably leave as a bass boat sparkle, and it would be awesome

Wrestling_yes.gif

If the people down from "the hallway [you] work in" start doing bassboat sparkles again, please let me know!!!

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;32751 said:
If the people down from "the hallway [you] work in" start doing bassboat sparkles again, please let me know!!!
First on board if we EVER see this again:
(No, really, a silver holoflake CU24 is the guitar of my dreams)

96PRSCustom24Holoflake.jpg

Because we began planning this project before the SE-7 was announced and I really have a great deal of fun doing unique projects with the PTC dudes - its my flavor.

Yeah but even even before the existence of the SE Production 7 Strings, PRS still made 7 Strings....... to quote Paul Smith via Dave Weiner in regards to 7 strings back in 2010, "We don't do it very often, but we do it very well" and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

Out of curiosity, how does the neck width compare to a purpose built 7 string neck? I'd be concerned that the string spacing would end up too close together and that in the end, it wouldn't be as playable as a purpose built 7 string neck......

Regardless, I am sure the PTC guys will do a wonderful job for you and I'm sure you will be happy with the results.

Just my 2 cents.....

Yeah but even even before the existence of the SE Production 7 Strings, PRS still made 7 Strings....... to quote Paul Smith via Dave Weiner in regards to 7 strings back in 2010, "We don't do it very often, but we do it very well" and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

Out of curiosity, how does the neck width compare to a purpose built 7 string neck? I'd be concerned that the string spacing would end up too close together and that in the end, it wouldn't be as playable as a purpose built 7 string neck......

I'm very familiar with the Daves gear and that quote, but you have to understand when they do it - its done well IN Private Stock. Everything was measured out ahead of time and I wouldn't be doing it if we thought spacing would be an issue. Like I said, its been months of planning.

Last edited:
and so I'm sorry, I just don't get what the big deal about this project is.

The thing about the project is (the way I see it) that one of our buds is getting a guitar the way he wants it by working with a PRS mad scientist (Skitchy) to transform one guitar into a different guitar...AND that our bud is really excited about it and it is a big deal to him...therefore, it is a big deal to us.

Plus its cool....

I'm very familiar with the Daves gear and that quote, but you have to understand when they do it - its done well IN Private Stock. Everything was measured out ahead of time and I wouldn't be doing it if we thought spacing would be an issue. Like I said, its been months of planning.

Fair play dude. I still don't really get it, but I'll still be interested to see how it all turns out.

The thing about the project is (the way I see it) that one of our buds is getting a guitar the way he wants it by working with a PRS mad scientist (Skitchy) to transform one guitar into a different guitar...AND that our bud is really excited about it and it is a big deal to him...therefore, it is a big deal to us.

Plus its cool....

That's cool too, congrats to all involved.....but it doesn't mean I have to get it........instead I'll reserve judgement till its been completed, but even then, it's not my guitar or my money so in the grand scale of things, my opinion means zero.

I just don't get the negativity in your posts...I think its rude. I think the way you phrased your comments could have been done with more tact. There is a better way you could have approached this if you wanted to learn about what actually is being done.

I'm sorry if you think I'm being rude, that's not my intention, I'm just a straight shooter and call things as I see them, sometimes it may come off as rude, but really I just don't have time to sugar coat things and pander to the needs of the delicate/thin skinned.

As for the negativity towards this project, well there is nothing I can do about that because as a whole, while I don't think the idea is completely pointless, I do find it rather unnecessary, regardless of how long the planning has been under way.

I mean, If I was waiting 6 months for one type of heart surgery and a newer, better and more convenient type came along, I wouldn't still get the old type because it had been planned for longer......

Furthermore, just because twenty guys come along and say something is amazing and one person comes along and disagrees, doesn't instantly make the one person wrong and therefore deserving of chastising, it just means that the one dude (me in this case) has a difference of opinion and I am under the impression that this board is mature enough to be able to deal with a difference of opinion without instigating some kind of ousting or witch hunt...... right?

But like I said previously, I'm still interested to see how it pans out regardless of my initial thoughts up to this point. I am fully able and willing to eat humble pie if it turns out as brilliantly as it's being pre empted....

The PTC guys do not undertake projects they think will not work. They push boundaries which is a good thing. They are the best in the biz. I think this project rocks.

The work that the PTC dudes do was never under question, but that doesn't mean I have to like this project ....nor should I have to hold back my opinions when they have a constructive element (i.e. neck width concerns) to them which have already been addressed anyway.

That's cool too, congrats to all involved.....but it doesn't mean I have to get it........it's not my guitar or my money so in the grand scale of things, my opinion means zero.

You are correct on all counts. Now lets get off of this and see some more pics!!!!

See what you did Mike?! You put up a seemingly innocent post, but I think you had a devious plan in mind the whole time. "Let's see...what can I do to get the forum churning? bwahahaha"

See what you did Mike?! You put up a seemingly innocent post, but I think you had a devious plan in mind the whole time. "Let's see...what can I do to get the forum churning? bwahahaha"

Tell me about it! hahaha Its all good guys. DRM is more than welcome to his opinion and skeptiscism for the project as is anyone else. The internet is not serious business so I don't take it to heart - plus he likes Chimaira so he gets a pass.

I am in love with this project and anyone who doesn't can simply....well....

lhGkT.gif

Honest feedback is always allowed. Whether or not it is in good taste is the question.

When a member is sharing his guitar with community you should think of it like he (or she) is making a toast. You have two options: Drink or don't drink.

I am amazed at the skill of the PTC crew. I enjoy reading the threads and seeing the pics of their work. Some of the projects make me envious, like the piezo install they did for Mike. Other projects just aren't for me for a variety of reasons. Would I turn a 12-string into a 7-string? No (I can barely play 6), but I'm not about to criticize or question someone for making that choice. So while this isn't one I'd want to do, I will still sit back and wait for more progress photos and marvel at the skill involved in the transformation.

In the end, Mike will have a guitar that is far more meaningful to him than a stock SE-7 or a PS model, and honestly, that is all that matters.

Now... How long before we see more pics?

Ha thanks man, that Piezo install was masterful! I need to reacreate that thread for this forum since it was lost with BAM.

I think I should have more photos after it comes back from paint :)

Back