2x12 tone in a 1x12 package?

Boogie

Zombie Two, DFZ
I've tried...really tried to capture the mojo that I get with the SuperD and the pine 2x12 with a smaller cab. Less volume for smaller venues is a must and I just can't find that magic. The most elusive part is that I'm pretty convinced that you can't simply take the same speaker and cram it into a smaller cab. There's a resonance and timber that the 2x12 has in spades that just doesn't translate with 1x12s I've tried so far. Before I explain what I've done, what do you guys do? Same speakers in a similarly constructed cab in a smaller format? Or do you take a crap shoot and just audition a bazillion cabs?

A couple of guidelines...closed back is a must for volume control on cramped stages, needs to be wide enough for the head to sit on.

I have a Bogner 1x12 that's closed back and ported. It's the Shiva 1x12. I love it for my Shiva and 5150 III heads. It's small and light, but incredibly boss. One of my favorite cabs of all time. If I ever ordered a CAD combo, and I'd like to, I'd mention my love of this cabinet.

I've got an MB widebody Thiele 1x12 that I love. The Thiele design muffles that mid spike of the Vin 30. For those times I want to run two cabs, I built an African mahogany 1x12 to the same outside dimensions as the Thiele, but instead of porting the cab, I made the back a three piece removable panel. I generally leave the center panel off. It's a little over 1/3 the total height of the back. Closing it off still sounds great, but I like the spread with it open.

I've been jonesing for one of the MB Road King 2x12s. One side is closed and the other is open. You can run it parallel or stereo, or just use one of the speakers. Very cool setup.

Don't get me wrong, there are many 1x12s that sound great and my current 1x12 with the WGS ET65 is really damned nice, but it sounds nothing like the pine 2x12. Does anyone have both the PRS 1x12 and 2x12 pine cabs with V30s to confirm that they're sonically identical?

I haven't tried out the 1x12, so I can't speak directly to the comparison. But I've had good luck with PRS 2x12's by turning them vertical (just putting the cab on its side). It's just wide enough to put a PRS head on, it halves the footprint on the stage, and it actually sounds better at head level (even in comparison with tilting it back...) To me anyways, but it's an easy thing to try.

Don't get me wrong, there are many 1x12s that sound great and my current 1x12 with the WGS ET65 is really damned nice, but it sounds nothing like the pine 2x12. Does anyone have both the PRS 1x12 and 2x12 pine cabs with V30s to confirm that they're sonically identical?

They couldn't be identical, because of the interactions that happen between speakers, air, and wood inside a cab, especially a closed-back one, but I'd be surprised if they weren't similar.

One of the reasons I record with a 212 at times is because even with the same woods and speaker types, a 212 has a fundamentally different sound.

In a 212 all of the interactions I mentioned cause a certain amount of phasing between the two speakers that gives a 212 "swirl". A 112 doesn't have that going on.

For a long time I've used Mesa 212 and wide body 112 cabs, and they sound similar, but there are definite differences as well. I honestly don't think it's possible to have them sound identical.

Last edited:
I know I'm dreaming, but darn it, can't a guy dream??!! ;) All are great points, Les. Thanks for the advice.

Sadly, I think I need another amp. Something much smaller.

I know I'm dreaming, but darn it, can't a guy dream??!! ;) All are great points, Les. Thanks for the advice.

Sadly, I think I need another amp. Something much smaller.

Sweet 16+?

I just played a Two Rock Jet 35 combo, and was totally blown away. It was the best amp experience I've ever had. Now, if I only had a spare $3200!

Physics
I don't think its possible.
One speaker matched to an amp or combo can yield a great tone for sure,
like my v18 and the G12H30 ( believe it or not )
But I dont think it can roar like 2-12s can
IMHO

EdItEd: - what les said

Back