2nd PRS recommendation

T3mp

I currently own a Wood Library DGT. What I love about it is the neck and also the low wind pickup tone. Was thinking of getting a McCarty 549, but decided it would be too similar to justify. So I am considering a Custom 24 but I don't think I will like the thin neck pattern I see on most builds. Also I am not sure I will love the pickups on them. Those with more PRS experience what would you suggest?

The WT neck really isn't that thin. Think more 60s Gibson or Fender. I bounce between several profiles and it's a non issue. Somedays I even prefer the WT. I'd say get the Cu24. Older models are out there with I believe the pattern regular.

My Cu24 has 5909 and they rock.

You can't go wrong with PRS. The biggest thing to figure out is what you want this guitar to do? Then pick one..

I’d have to agree with Rod and Andrew Paul. Both would be excellent suggestions. I have both and both are excellent and different from the DGT. I don’t think you could go wrong with the santana retro or the MEV.

Something inexpensive makes sense, say…

e2a925d73596a7ff352cdf847f76f8ec.jpg

The 594 isn't a bad option, it will be different from the DGT. The Special 22 Semi-Hollow could be another suggestion and the core version now comes with the 58/15LT pickups, which might fit the bill you are in to low wind pickups. The Cu24 is another style of guitar, more modern and good if you need those last two frets. The MEV or a Pauls Guitar are two other (and fairly similar) options with more modern and very clear sounding pickups.

The DGT pickups aren't actually very low wind, at least not the bridge which is fairly hot (for a PAF style pickup) at about 9 kOhm.

I'd suggest going to a shop a play as many as you can until one speaks to you , aside from that a MEV/Special/ Studio would broaden the tonal pallete
I ain't gonna lie, often I prefer my Studio over the MEV and Retro....just a smidge. It really feels and sounds so so good.

I would look for a Custom 24 in Pattern Regular.

If you don't pwn any S-type guitars, check out a Silver Sky!

Either the SE or Core. They're both great.

I see the SE Silver Sky on sale right now for around $800

Last edited:
Back