2nd guessing yourself!

Lola

❤️guitar
Do you ever leave rehearsal with nagging doubts about your playing? Or, someone compliments your playing and you just have a hard time believing them? I haven’t been as fanatical about practicing as I should be. Life sort of gets in the way at times and I am having some doubts about my playing. I psyche myself to go home right after work and practice then I don’t. This is just not a normal mindset for me when it comes to practicing. This has honestly been happening for about the last 6 months and I don’t know why. I am sure I could come up with a few other excuses for lack of practice but there just that, excuses. I have to get myself back in the game.

I never doubt my playing ability because I have been playing for years and have a realistic knowledge of what I can and can't do. I do however doubt my practicing efficiency at times. I know when listening to something if I can probably pull it off or not. If it is in my wheelhouse and I am struggling with it, I am not spending enough time with it. There was a quote that I saw years ago that to me says it all.

Ammeters practice until they can play it right, professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

The dedication to practice is something different to me. I have also been suffering from lack of interest for a little over two years now. I am just not that interested in spending time in the same room I have been working from daily to play guitar. I have been trying to figure this one out myself. Part of it is the room filling two purposes, I know that. The other is that I am just not getting that excited over what I am doing anymore. I tried to go more in the recording direction, that didn't work. I really like playing live but am pretty much over the late nights at my age with a demanding day job. I am still working this one out for myself. I know I need to get back into it. I have a memory of doing something similar years ago and it lasted far too long. I remember thinking when I picked it back up that it was a real stress reliever and I don't know why I ever let it fall off.

Self doubt (for one reason or another) is pretty constant in my life. Long story so I won't get into it. But somehow that seems to propel me into trying harder.

Like it or not, life does get in the way especially these days. Love the line "life is what happens when you're making other plans."

With guitar, I've accepted the fact that I'm only going to be at a certain level technically. But that doesn't mean I can't improve within my technical limitations. (Got hand issues. Another long story).

Maybe you need some new inspiration. About 8 months ago our church hired a new musical director and he has been a God send. Wonderful person, sings great and his guitar skills are wonderful. He pretty much improvises everything he does and what he does fits like a glove. A far superior player than I am and that has inspired me so much, especially when it comes to bettering my attempts at improvising and it's working. Very slowly I admit, but his example had helped me.

I just do what I do to the best of my ability but at the same time I don't kid myself about anything. Just enjoy it!

Do you ever leave rehearsal with nagging doubts about your playing? Or, someone compliments your playing and you just have a hard time believing them? I haven’t been as fanatical about practicing as I should be. Life sort of gets in the way at times and I am having some doubts about my playing. I psyche myself to go home right after work and practice then I don’t. This is just not a normal mindset for me when it comes to practicing. This has honestly been happening for about the last 6 months and I don’t know why. I am sure I could come up with a few other excuses for lack of practice but there just that, excuses. I have to get myself back in the game.

Constantly, and I've been playing 50 years. I only hear what could be better in my own playing. Unfortunately that tends to make me overlt critical of others as werll. Sometimes it's best to let all that go and just have fun; accept what's there and be ok with that. I'm happier when I can do that.

Sorry to hear about your troubles Lola! What I am hearing is a disconnect between what you are doing and why you are doing it!! Please don't be offended by that, it is not intended to offend but rather to extend your way of thinking about the playing of the music!!! If you are not LOVING what you are doing, it is difficult for anyone to commit and embrace the process of it. So when you are practicing, be sure to give yourself the right to make mistakes and not let them ruin the beautiful experience of creating music!! And when you are playing live, find the joy in the music you are creating and in the fact that others are listening to you and your emotional output!!! I know you are committed to learning that Steely Dan song, but pick a few easier ones you have never played before as well to give you that emotional boost of rocking those songs that have been in your head for decades!!! Best of luck on falling back in love with the music creation process!!

I know you are committed to learning that Steely Dan song, but pick a few easier ones you have never played before as well to give you that emotional boost of rocking those songs that have been in your head for decades!!! Best of luck on falling back in love with the music creation process!!
This is exactly what I did. I chose some pretty simple songs from a Canadian band called 5440. They’re music is not complicated and I was able to play on the fly which was pretty cool. I played because I wanted to and I didn’t force myself into it. I have to be up in 6 hrs but I really don’t care it was a lot of fun. It was a little boost in confidence to be able to play some songs I have never heard before but they use the typical blues chord progression 1,4,5 and other familiar patterns. So easy to have fun and vamp over.

Someone or anyone can I pick your brain?

Need some help with some solo stuff in the 5440 song.

Someone or anyone can I pick your brain?

Need some help with some solo stuff in the 5440 song.
Glad to help if I can, but I'm leaving town and won't be back to the forum til late tonight.

This vid at 2:23. It’s obviously a slide up to ? And then the notes that follow ending the song.

This vid at 2:23. It’s obviously a slide up to ? And then the notes that follow ending the song.

The 2:23 part looks like it's just a slide up to a partial G, a double stop - B on the third, D on the second - then sort of an A-G barre chord riff, barring on 14 and 12.

I sort of need help with the ending part. The vamping.

I know what one of my problem is. It just never dawned on me before. For instance, tonight I made up something to sound very similar to the solo in Ocean pearl and while I am happy with it I feel like I honestly should be analyzing everything and playing it note for note and then I get upset with myself, put the guitar down and say F it. I feel like I am cheating. I need to know when to say enough is enough. My OCD doesn’t help either. I feel compelled but it takes the damn fun out of it.

I know what one of my problem is. It just never dawned on me before. For instance, tonight I made up something to sound very similar to the solo in Ocean pearl and while I am happy with it I feel like I honestly should be analyzing everything and playing it note for note and then I get upset with myself, put the guitar down and say F it. I feel like I am cheating. I need to know when to say enough is enough. My OCD doesn’t help either. I feel compelled but it takes the damn fun out of it.
There's something to be said for making the song your own.
Have fun with it.
The audience will either fill in the blanks or appreciate your take on it.

I have never been interested in doing note for note covers of cover songs! I HAVE to make it my own!! I know it is important for many people for many reasons, but not my bag!!! Rock it like it's yours!!!! When you feel you own it, it will increase your power in delivery as well IMO!!!!!

I sat there last night while I played and asked myself why do I really love playing. My heartfelt answer was that I could now play the music that I grew up with and loved. Music that made and still makes me happy. I think the spark that lit the flame again was the 5440 song I am playing. I can become one with that song.

Back