277 baritone question

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by TonyF, Sep 18, 2019.

1. TonyF

TonyF New Member

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a baritone. Not a metal guy. Looking for ambient textures so I'm more inclined toward the semi-HB with the soap bars. Just a little concerned about how noisy they are based on a few youtube videos I've watched.

So the specs for the humbucker model controls indicates "Volume and Push/Pull Tone Control with 3-Way Toggle Pickup Switch". Does the "push/pull" mean you can split the humbuckers to get a single coil tone?

Thanks.

2. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

I do recall the P90 version having a push/pull. It’s great for adding texture. I want to get a humbucker one.

3. shimmilou

shimmilou Established in 1963

Yes :)

4. John Beef

John Beef Opaque

Yeah, the humbuckers split pretty well for humbuckers. I've never heard a split humbucker that sounds as good as a true single coil, though. I find the bridge pickup on my SE277 to be a bit aggressive, but I think that has more to do with its proximity to the bridge. If I was re-designing the guitar I would move the bridge pickup more towards the neck, like the one on the right I photoshopped. This would balance out the tones a bit more between the bridge and neck pickups.

[​IMG]

If I was looking for ambient, I would definitely go with the P-90s, and since I don't like single coil noise I would also budget for a good pair of Fralin hum cancelling P-90s to go with it. They're expensive, but they sound pretty amazing. I don't know if there's a cheaper alternative on the market.

Bowtiefanatc likes this.
  5. Bowtiefanatc

Bowtiefanatc #NeverGibson

Now I want that one in Satin Black!