25th anniversary SAS question.

jjhookemup

Gearoholic
Just received a mint condition 25th anniversary SAS today from Reverb, and am a little shocked at the fret edges. I looked the guitar over really good and it’s definitely mint, including the frets. Definitely all PRS, no mods or signs of work. It doesn’t look like a re-fret either.
I messaged the seller and he said that he’s seen this on PRS maple necks a lot. This is my first PRS maple. So has anyone else experienced this issue? Thanks

Can you say a little more about what you were shocked about? Are the fret edges sharp? Not polished?

It’s possible that it’s climate-related. If the neck dried out and shrunk a bit, the fret ends may stick out a bit. I haven’t had that issue, but I have had necks shift and need an adjustment both from changes in season and location. I have a Hamer Eclipse that I bought at a store about 3.5 hours away from me. Played beautifully in the store. Drove it home. Two days later, it was unplayable. Took some truss rod tweaks and it was fine. You can try a humidifier pack in the case, or give it a day or two to see if it bounces back.

^^^^All this ^^^^^^ You can address the same issue easier on Rosewood boards, by applying lemon oil, or PRS FB conditioner...but maple FB's are all different.
Humidifier packs could help. I don't think you can/should apply conditioner/oil to PRS maple boards???? I never have, anyway. Anyone else ever try to???

I use butcher’s wax or car wax. The board definitely dried out. There’s no telling how or where it was stored in its previous life. Wait a week and see what happens. I’m in Maryland. There’s a lot more humidity here. I don’t think Bill or I have ever had a problem.

Yup...Maryland...additionally, I do keep them in their cases when I'm not playing. Not sure if that makes any difference at all, just my personal preference.

I do treat my RW boards about once a year...very sparingly.(just a little on the rag)

Worst case I'd ever seen was at a local GC years ago...they had an enclosed "Bass Room", and were actually baking the instruments with spot lights. My wife pointed out the horrible fret ends on a new Alembic bass...(Top $$$$$)
Still brings a tear to the eye...God, I love that woman!!!! ;):):):):)

Worst case I'd ever seen was at a local GC years ago...they had an enclosed "Bass Room", and were actually baking the instruments with spot lights. My wife pointed out the horrible fret ends on a new Alembic bass...(Top $$$$$)
Still brings a tear to the eye...God, I love that woman!!!! ;):):):):)

She's from Elizabeth, right? They grow 'em good there.

Alan...Yup...tons o' relatives up there, and McKeesport...

That's what I thought - I remembered her family being around there.

The only problem with women from there is they tend to have questionable taste in men. Obviously, as you've found out, some have slightly better taste, so it's not universal.

Back