250 treble vs Tremonti treble vs Metal \m/ pickups?

John

https://deathbenotproud.bandcamp.com
Hi again,

I was tossing up an idea of experimenting with PRS pickups in a couple of my guitars- I noticed that the Tremonti and the 250 are both ceramic pickups with fairly high DC Res values- 15.42 each from an old spec sheet I saw awhile back. I haven't gotten to try a Maryland-made Tremonti, so I wanted to know if those two pickups are voiced differently. And if so, in what regards are they voiced differently?
Also, with the somewhat recent introduction of the Metal \m/ pickups, has anyone here on the board have a chance to demo those side by side with either of the aforementioned pickups?

On another side note, before I try and go batsh*t crazy with tweaking my guitars, is the 250 bridge a 4 conductor pickup/can I possibly get it to work with an older PRS with a 5 way rotary switch? I know it works just fine with a 5 way blade...

They're quite similar in specs, but Tremonti requested PRS to tweak the 250 pickups slightly and that became his own signature pickups. Soundwise, I'm not very sure. Cleaner settings may differ very subtly. I don't think anyone can tell them apart with the gain cranked. I've watched a few vids demo-ing the \m/, loved what I hear there. Definitely sounds brighter compared to the Tremonti/250 pickups, not directly A/B-ed but the tonal differences are quite apparent generally. That said, it could also be amp EQ that's causing tonal differences.

It's been quite awhile since I've played Tremonti or 250's, but I feel like the \m/ pickups clean up better. That's semi-important to me, I couldn't clean up the Tremonti to my liking and I feel like the \m/ work for me in that respect.

It's been quite awhile since I've played Tremonti or 250's, but I feel like the \m/ pickups clean up better. That's semi-important to me, I couldn't clean up the Tremonti to my liking and I feel like the \m/ work for me in that respect.

Nice to know.

They're quite similar in specs, but Tremonti requested PRS to tweak the 250 pickups slightly and that became his own signature pickups.

It might be the other way around because the Tremonti pups came out in 2001 with the first signature model and the 250s in 2007 with the SC250. If I remember correctly (from past discussions in the original PRS Forum) I believe Tremonti was looking for something close to Gibson's 500Ts which he was using at the time.

Back