25 Years with PRS

Thinking back on this, it’s interesting to me that I didn’t know the brand much prior to discovering them in that store with my dad. So it was initially 100% a visual appeal that got my attention. I think many people are influenced by their favorite artists more than anything.

The guitar players that I remember most during that time that liked a lot were:
Dave Navarro in Jane’s Addiction. I loved the album Ritual de lo Habitual. Particularly the latter half of that album. There wasn’t much like it. It felt very spacey, ambient and exploratory. The front half of the album had an edgy funk rock sound that was great. Still a favorite album of mine. Had a certain attitude to it.

Speaking of attitude, the album Weight by Rollins Band was big for me back then. Chris Haskett played CE24’s through a Mesa mk IV. I will admit, it’s probably as much as much Melvin Gibbs coming into the band on bass giving that album some low down stanky groove with his funk background. I was never much into Henry’s stuff prior. Hardcore/punk wasn’t really my scene. This album just had a culmination of a lot of cool things on it. I love how everything on this album melds together. It’s a fantastic mixture of styles.

Alex was playing PRS in Rush around that time too. I like Roll the Bones and Counterparts a lot. I think his solo album Victor came around that time too.

Very shortly after I started playing PRS, the debut Sevendust album came out. That album blew my mind. Clint played PRS through a mk IV in those early days too. It’s kind of weird I never owned one. I’ve only played one a handful of times. I think the Recto is closer to my sound though I never owned one of those either.

Last edited:
Vaughn - this might be my favorite thread ever. Just fantastic!
Thanks Mike, I really appreciate that. I’m actually trying to figure out where some old pics of some of the Star Wars are. This is prior to digital media, so we’ll see. I think I had the action figures laid out on a gold/black paisley couch, which would be ironic as it became a PRS amp and case covering.:)

My mom sold my (and my brother’s) complete Star Wars figure collection - with the display base - in a yard sale a long time ago. Can’t imagine what it’s worth today. :(

I miss hanging out at EXP and hearing these stories in person, V. Here’s to hoping 2022 brings something closer to what we’ve done before. Be safe, bro.

5R4BfUr.jpg

When I had my PS built, I wanted the build date to be my dad’s birthdate as a bit of a tribute to him since we discovered PRS together. That year would’ve been my dad’s 70th birthday. Today would’ve been his 75th.

Back