25 Years with PRS

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
This thread will be long winded but also photo heavy. Many know the story, some may not. Feel free to scroll past the words and check out the photos. I'd been wanting a PRS guitar for a few years and made the jump, receiving my first PRS in 1996.
The short story: when I was an early teen, I would go to music stores with my dad and we discovered PRS together. Being out of a price range me or my parents could get into, I stumbled across a single Star Wars action figure in a pawn shop selling for quite a bit of money. My parents had bought me a TON of Star Wars toys as a kid. I decided to sell those to collector and used the money to special order my first PRS.

1996 PRS Custom 22 - 10 top, whale blue, birds, wide thin neck, stoptail (aka: The Star Wars guitar)

y1x3lmJ.jpg

nePrLds.jpg

5497213383_d0f3554199_k.jpg

6883400130_42a0aa85eb_c.jpg

This was my only good guitar for a long time. It's been modded multiple times. Whatever I needed to do to make it work best for me throughout it's life, I did. There was never a thought of resale value or anything like that - it's scratched up, chipped. It's owned, loved and played with passion and vigor.

Last edited:
Here's the letter I wrote to Paul some years back, not sure if I ever sent or emailed it.

Paul,

I would like to say thank you, for your vision, your passion and your determination to build exceptional guitars. They are truly a pleasure to play. Everything from the tone, the beauty, the comfort and playability of your instruments is inspiring to me every time I pick up one of my PRS guitars. They have become my inspiration and paint brush for creating my music for a very long time now. It has been 14 years since I ordered my first PRS guitar and has been a pleasure playing them ever since then. So again, I would like to give you my sincerest thanks.

I have always enjoyed reading interviews, the PRS book, watching the DVD and hearing you talk about the history of everything. It’s a very inspiring story to me and I always like to hear the stories you tell about it all. So I thought I would take a little time to tell you my story about your guitars.

It was in the very early 90’s, ‘91 or so that I saw my first PRS. My father used to take me to Madison, WI about every three months for a doctor appointment. We’d always schedule the visit early in the morning so we could go to some of the guitar stores in town, since we didn’t have much of anything in our hometown. So we walked into a store that we normally stopped in at, and there on the floor we saw about six or seven of the most beautiful guitars either of us had ever seen before. What really stood out the most, was they had unbelievable, gorgeous 3D looking maple tops on them and these fretboard inlays in the shape of birds. We’d never seen anything like these guitars and were just in complete awe! It wasn’t too long before a salesperson came over and asked if we’d ever heard of these guitars, called PRS - Paul Reed Smith. We said no, we hadn’t but, WOW, they sure are beautiful guitars! He asked if I had wanted to plug one in and try it out. Although I really wanted to play one right then, I said no, that’s ok. I knew at that time that they were more than I could afford, or my parents could spend on a guitar. I had only been playing guitar seriously for a year and half, so I thought, man, I’m not even good enough to even pick up a guitar that nice, much less plug it in and play it! So we stood and gawked at these beautiful instruments for a while longer. Especially the whale blue one right out in front. Man, that was the coolest guitar, in the most unbelievable color we ever saw. It was all we talked about the rest of the day! I said, Dad, someday I’m gonna have one of those guitars." I remember that day like it was yesterday.

I finally played a PRS guitar several months later and was just blown away by it. Man, did that thing just sing! And it was still a very thick, rich and full sound as well. It was much easier and more comfortable to play than my Epiphone Les Paul & Gibson Studio LP, but was still thick and chunky sounding on the bottom end. I loved it, but still, not within my budget. Fast-forward to 1995. I was out of high school and had a successful rock band as far as high school bands go, we even had recorded a full length CD in a studio in Madison, WI. I was bound and determined, come hell or high water, to get a PRS. I felt like now I had put in some time on the guitar and accomplished a fair amount of things and I deserved a PRS!!! I had a job, but it didn’t pay a whole lot, so it would take forever to save up that money. One day, while walking through a pawn shop, I saw some second hand Star Wars toys for sale…for A LOT of money. So I thought to myself, I have a ton of these toys, maybe I could find a buyer that would buy all of it. I really had a ton of Star Wars toys, and incidentally, my dad always made me put those toys away and keep things together so I didn’t lose pieces. He made me take very good care of that stuff, more so than any other toys or anything else I had. I even had a lot of the boxes for the ships, instructions and everything. So I started doing research, pricing everything that I owned. It turned out it would be enough money for me to buy the PRS I dreamed about for so long! I then asked my dad if it would be ok with him if I sold it all to buy the PRS. He said, "Yeah, go for it, I know how much you want that guitar." So I found a buyer and shipped him everything and went to the music store to get a PRS!!!

I tried out a few and while talking to the salesman, decided I would special order a guitar, built for me with the options I wanted. I was then pointed to Paul Schluter (Last Crack, Magic 7, Muzzy Luctin) who worked there as well at that time. Paul has serial #5 0057, and has been playing PRS from the beginning. He was the PRS expert around Madison at the time. So I decided, with his help, that I’d order a Custom 22 with bird inlays, 10 top, wide thin neck, stoptail - in whale blue, of course. After a long, agonizing wait(I was soooo anxious for this guitar), 8 months if memory serves me correctly. I got the call. It had arrived. I saw it and it was the most beautiful thing - and it was mine. I briefly plugged it in at the store and it just screamed. So off I went back home to show it to my dad. There we sat in the living room at home, just like the first time we saw a PRS guitar. In awe. My mom was even excited. She loved the whale blue color. That memory will forever be engrained in my mind.

So I decided in 2006, my 10th year playing PRS, I would commemorate that by getting the birds tattooed around my forearm and the first bird above my elbow on the back of my arm(with a 96 in the center of it).

Over the years that guitar has been excellent and has been with me through thick and thin. It now stays at home and gets used at home and in the studio. I have a 2006 Singlecut standard, 2003 and 1998 McCarty standards that have become my live guitars. I really can’t say enough good things about PRS guitars, they are near and dear to me. I obsess about them. I can’t help myself. So I thank you for your innovation and excellence and for becoming a huge part my creating my music.

Sincerely,

Vaughn Klein (aka: vchizzle on BaM)

Last edited:
I’m getting the dreaded internal server error and had to take all the pics out! That may derail the rest of the thread:(

My second PRS was an early SAS. Swamp ash guitar early on that had a serial number in the 60’s. I don’t have any pictures that I can find unfortunately. I had it for a few years until the early 2000’s. I found it to be too bright to be my only other guitar as a backup in my band at that time and had to trade it in on this pre lawsuit SC. Not many pics of the SC either besides some live shots.

This SC became my main guitar as it had a beefier tone that suited the band in the early 2000’s.
From then on I was fortunate enough to start buying used PRS regularly, about 1 a year around tax time. The next was this ‘98 black McCarty standard with birds. Super light weight. Maybe 7 lb. This guitar convinced me that weight was less a factor in big great tones.

Got a few more standards in the late 2000’s. An SC standard and another black McCarty standard. The second McCarty was with the sole purpose of getting a refin by Larry(paintguy). White McCarty were tough to find and PRS didn’t do refin jobs then.

I also got a 1957/2008 McCarty that faded...should’ve kept this one.

A stripped 58 followed not long after that, which became my main guitar along side the white McCarty. I put 5909’s in it.

Here’s a group shot of most of them at the time:

After this I ran across an artist package SC from 2007 that I lusted after for years. Had a chance to buy it, turned it down because I was set on a stripped. Luckily got a chance later on to buy it again so I snapped it up even though it was more than I wanted to pay. The top is PS grade in my opinion. I had to have it!

Had a beautiful SCHB II in charcoal that I later sold for something special.

Sometime after that, I ran across the NF3. The neck felt too awesome to not buy it. Turns out, I liked the narrow field tones a lot too.

I’m not sure if I’m missing any, but this is most of the PRS that I’ve owned.

Last edited:
2016 marked my 20th year playing PRS. It was time for something extra special. After some prodding by @jfb - a trip to the vault took place with @Brian G ...
It was epic. May need it’s own thread since the original thread got lost in a forum upgrade.

pp9x4Pc.jpg

lfJO6PI.jpg

This guitar is my pride and joy. I can’t express enough thanks to PRS, Brian’s guitar’s for getting it done and Jesse for kicking me over the cliff. Rob for his hospitality.

Last edited:
Back