24-08 pickup question

srmd22

I see a lot of these with 85/15's and also a few with 58/15's. I actually dig the way a couple of the ones with the 58/15's look, and was flirting with maybe getting one. I played a CE24 with the 85/15's and they sounded pretty good to me, from what I could tell, at pretty low volumes in a music store (which is not too meaningful, but it is something anyway). I tend to dig lower output pick-ups, which I am assuming the 58's are, but I was wondering if anyone who has some experience with both could tell me about the differences. Also, would the 58's split okay with the wiring scheme of the 24-08? I am really curious about both pickups.

Over the years I have had VB/HFS (did not like them, and replaced them with lower output Wolfetones, which sounded great in that guitar), 57/08's (liked them a lot - in a McCarty), and 53/10's (loved them, those were my favorites, but who knows how much was the guitar and how much the pickups). I have an incoming 408 on the way, but I have lately really missed the Cu24's I have had over the years, and think I might want to get one back into the collection at some point. There are some used ones out there with 59/09's and 57/08's also, but I dig the 24-08 (408) switching set up.

The 58's have a vintagey midrange growl to them, while the 85's are more bright and open. The output of both sets is the same; I'd call it moderate output.

Interesting - I usually think of vintage pickups as having an open sound, and more modern pick ups sometimes having more mid-range. Eg, PAF style sounds cleaner and more even, as well as (or because of, I don't know) having lower output. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way, though, so I think I will probably go with one of the 58 versions.

Interesting - I usually think of vintage pickups as having an open sound, and more modern pick ups sometimes having more mid-range. Eg, PAF style sounds cleaner and more even, as well as (or because of, I don't know) having lower output. Sounds like I can't go wrong either way, though, so I think I will probably go with one of the 58 versions.

I think you're spot on. So called "modern" pickups are often wound hotter than PAF types. Along with all that extra wire comes more midrange. The 85/15 is in the PAF output camp, but compared to the 58/15, it has more top end.

I think you're spot on. So called "modern" pickups are often wound hotter than PAF types. Along with all that extra wire comes more midrange. The 85/15 is in the PAF output camp, but compared to the 58/15, it has more top end.

That makes sense - actually, the 85/15 sounds pretty attractive from that perspective. A little more high end can be very helpful in the mix.

I love the 85/15s for my "modern" guitar. I definitely like the 58/15s in a more 594 or SC style guitar for some reason.

24-08 Sidebar Question!

Anyone else notice that the neck pickup is rotated to have the screw side towards the bridge rather than the neck? This done to add more top end?

url

Yup, I remember reading about that, or seeing it on a youtube somewhere. Well, I will probably end up with both flavors at some point, knowing me. I'm about to do a bit of a sell off to make room for more incoming.

I was talking to the folks at Wild West Guitars and they said the 58/15's were basically covered 85/15's. I know pick up covers do slightly alter the tone - but is that really the only difference?

I was talking to the folks at Wild West Guitars and they said the 58/15's were basically covered 85/15's. I know pick up covers do slightly alter the tone - but is that really the only difference?

Shawn had said there's more than just the cover, but he was mum on what the difference is.

I suspect different magnets, because to my ear the sound difference is bigger than just a cover.

Back