22 vs 24 fret

To me it is fairly subtle and given other variations in guitars, hard to pin down to which aspect of the difference to attribute to the slightly longer neck.

That said I 'think' the 22 has a little bit more bottom end.

oh i was thinking the 22 would be more strat sounding,is it easier to bend strings 22?

String bending is the same - the scale length is identical, but a 24 fret neck is longer (and thus has less "body" under the rest of the strings).

The most relevant different, IMHO, is that the neck pickup of a 22 fret guitar is usually right under the 4x fundamental frequency harmonic node for an open string (i.e. where the 24th fret might sit), where as the neck pickup of a 24 fret guitar is located right where the same 4th harmonic node would be when fretting on the 2nd fret or so (e.g. A Major chord - i.e. where the 26th fret might sit). So the neck pup will respond to the mix of harmonic modes and nodes differently on the two guitars.

A 22-fret strat and a 22-fret Les Paul sound very different. The strat sound comes from the design, not the number of frets. (Which is 21 on a strat usually anyway.)

I would aver that the guitar's soul resides in the second harmonic point and the soul connection is best made with your neck pickup right under it, but I'm biased because my fingers are too pudgy to make proper use of 24 frets.

For whatever reason, I find the 24 fretters have a bit more concentration in the midrange.

That could be purely anecdotal, but it's my experience nonetheless. I like, and have, both.

A picture is worth a thousand words.... particularly when it moves.

22v24body.gif

The most relevant different, IMHO, is that the neck pickup of a 22 fret guitar is usually right under the 4x fundamental frequency harmonic node for an open string (i.e. where the 24th fret might sit), where as the neck pickup of a 24 fret guitar is located right where the same 4th harmonic node would be when fretting on the 2nd fret or so (e.g. A Major chord - i.e. where the 26th fret might sit). So the neck pup will respond to the mix of harmonic modes and nodes differently on the two guitars...

This.

Additionally, I think there is a fundamental assumption that the neck pickup on a 22 fret guitar is in a better position to capture more low end bassy tone, as it is closer to the middle of the string than the neck pickup of a 24 fret guitar. The middle of the string is where the standing waves on the string have the greatest amplitude. Some would argue, this difference in neck pickup placement gives the 22 fret variant more range in the tone. But possibly cuts some of the mid, which the 24 fret may have, like Les said above (But you still have to factor in nodes, and individual shapes of standing waves depending on the note being fretted at a given time.)

I may be wrong and please correct me if I am.

Personally, I have yet to play two of the exact same guitar with the only variable being 22 vs. 24 frets so I couldn't say I have tested this and know it to be a valid assumption. You could talk about the theory of pickup placement all day but there seem to be plenty of other factors that affect tone, like blue finish for example. Some guitar makers claim that relic'd guitars sound better also.

PSA: I editted my original post to try to make it more concise and easy to follow

Last edited:
...harmonic node for an open string (i.e. where the 24th fret might sit), where as the neck pickup of a 24 fret guitar is located right where the same 4th harmonic node would be when fretting on the 2nd fret or so (e.g. A Major chord - i.e. where the 26th fret might sit).

Emphasis mine.

Totally agree, and too often I see things stating harmonic point better on 22 without this caveat.

People confuse harmonic overtones (for either open OR fretted notes) and "pinch harmonics" all the time.

They are not the same animal.

Ritchie Blackmore's "Mistreated" intro - harmonic overtones. Vibrato a note standing just so in your amp's cone of sound and the overtone gradually takes over the note.

Billy Gibbons's "Bar-B-Q" bridge solo - pinch harmonics. "Graze that twine to make it whine."

Any day you can quote the Rev twice is a nice day.:)

The biggest difference to me between 22-24 fret is playing position a 22 ( of same scale length ) is more compact feeling easier to play on the lower and middle part of the neck a bit darker on the neck pickup
a 24 is easier to play up high ( DUH ) a bit longer reach to the open chords Neck pickup is a bit brighter ( or clearer if you like ) some would say there is less distinction between the pickups on a 24 as they are closer together.
Funny thing is I find I am liking 24s more and more not to say I don't like 22 but ( most of mine are ) but a great 24 is just so easy to crawl all over the neck on it is addicting

I have found that at least on my 24 fret guitar that the bass pickup did not have as much depth / bass as the 22 fret guitar. No discernible difference in tone when playing the with the bridge pickup.

Back