22 Frets vs. 24 Frets: What are the advantages?

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Ampguy, Jul 15, 2012.

1. AP515

AP515 Mostly Normal

The real question IMO is whether or not you have "headroom" on your tone pot. If you always play with the tone on 10, you will hear the difference in neck pickup tone. If you play with your tone at 5 - 8, the difference is only a small adjustment.

2. Rachmaninoff

Rachmaninoff New Member

This is the best explanation I've ever seen, thanks for posting this.

3. juka

juka Pioneer Of The SCF

The biggest difference for me is that you cannot get a stoptail on a current Cu24/P24 without going Private Stock :bawling:

#123 juka, Apr 3, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  4. Luminandy

Luminandy New Member

I always thought 24 fret would make more sense for me, along with the neck through with no heel. I tried out that route, and went back to 22. I just seems to play faster and more accurate on the 22. The only difference I care about is comfort, and that is purely subjective. Anything else is of minimal importance to me. I used to read about, and listen to people about what was "better", but, to me, whichever one is best for your brain to fingers is all that matters.

5. GADonis

GADonis New Member

I've never really noticed a difference. However I do tend to stare at my left hand while playing so position and muscle memory aren't something I rely on. I wish I did because dark stages screw me up.

Now if you put a seventh string on a guitar I get totally confused.

6. Michael DiGregorio

Michael DiGregorio New Member

I've heard the neck pickup is better positioned with 22, I've heard there is more string vibration over the body making for better tone, and I've heard people say they have trouble with the extra frets and the size of the fretboard.
    I find none of that. In my head I just like the way it looks. And that's all! I don't detect a difference in sound or playability. I can pick up ANY guitar and play it ( more familiar with my own, and I have both 22 & 24 fret models) but I just like the look of 24 frets....(especially with a PRS..... More birds!)

7. Mozzi

Mozzi https://imgur.com/user/BAMozzy

The difference in sound between a Custom 22 and Custom 24 is more down to the difference in the position of the Neck pick-up. On a 22, they are further apart so get a wider separation. Not better, just different. The Custom 24 is the more 'iconic' PRS sound where as a 22 is more 'general' because its more like other twin humbucker guitars in the spacing between the PU's - again not a criticism of either but an explanation of the different sounds available with each.

Some say the pick-up placement on a 22 mean that they are under the harmonics where the 24th fret harmonics are at but the string vibration doesn't make any difference. The only thing that affects the vibration is the bridge and nut - assuming the strings aren't touching a fret or something to stop or slow vibration.