22 Frets vs. 24 Frets: What are the advantages?

I used to have a CE24 and a CE22. Sonically, I much preferred the CE24, and I contribute most of that to the location of the neck pickup in relation to the harmonic nodes of the string.

Also, it's two more higher--it goes to 24. :D

In those diagrams you moved the neck pickup. In reality, the neck pickups on PRS gtrs dont move, the bridge and the bridge pickups do. Compare a Custom 22 to a 24, and measure the distance between the pickups. Its SHORTER on the 24.

In those diagrams you moved the neck pickup. In reality, the neck pickups on PRS gtrs dont move, the bridge and the bridge pickups do. Compare a Custom 22 to a 24, and measure the distance between the pickups. Its SHORTER on the 24.

O.M.G.

Please just look at the diagram without the body outlines... You can see from the drawings (even in the drawing with guitar bodies) that the space between the pups is smaller and that the neck pup is closer to the bridge on the 24! Not in dispute!

What IS in dispute is WHY.

The illustration without the bodies clearly shows the body has NOTHING to do with it.

Neck pups are positioned at the end of the fretboard. A longer fretboard (by 2 frets) means less space available. Put the body anywhere under the bridge and the neck pup on a 24 fretter and it will not change the space available for the neck pup.

Disprove any of the following statements.
A 22 fret and a 24 fret guitar of the same scale have the same distance from the nut to the bridge.

A 22 fret and a 24 fret guitar of the same scale have the same distance from the nut to the 12th fret.

A 22 fret and a 24 fret guitar of the same scale have the same distance from the nut 22nd fret.

A 22 fret and a 24 fret guitar of the same scale have the same distance from the bridge to the 12th fret.

A 22 fret and a 24 fret guitar of the same scale have the same distance from the bridge to the 22nd fret.

The placement of the bridge on the body and the attachment of the neck to the body alter none of the above measurements.

The length of the fretboards for guitars of the same scale is different for a 22 fret guitar vs a 24 fret guitar with the 24 fretter being physically longer.

Since all other dimensions are the same except the physical length of the fretboards, THAT must be what limits how far a pup can be placed from the bridge without putting it under the fretboard.

I refer you back to the illustration without the guitar bodies....

Im only posted to help bring clarity, not dispute. The neck on the 24 is longer, youre setting the neck deeper, and thats where the error is.

Im only posted to help bring clarity, not dispute. The neck on the 24 is longer, youre setting the neck deeper, and thats where the error is.

Um, no...

Rugerpc is spot on correct...

Jamie

If i may...

prscustom22vs24md3.gif
I

I agree, he is. If the scale is the same (which it is), the distance from the nut to the bridge must therefore be the same so it is obvious that the bridge must proportionally be in the exact same position because if they did move the bridge, they would effectively be changing the scale length. Once you establish that the bridge is in the same position, that means that the neck pickup must move closer to the bridge to accommodate the two extra frets.

On a side note, I prefer 24 frets, but that's probably because I've rarely played anything else.

Wasn't there a .gif at one point that showed the difference between 22 and 24 frets? Where'd it go?

Ooops, I think I posted the same URL as this thread.
So hard surfing on small devices sometimes.
I do remember that animated GIF though.

Ooops, I think I posted the same URL as this thread.
So hard surfing on small devices sometimes.
I do remember that animated GIF though.

I have been wanting to see that gif (it doesn't show on the work or the home computer) to see why people think where the bridge is positioned on the the body has anything to do with the position of the neck pup...

FWIW, here they are side by side. There's definitely more real estate behind the bridge on the CU24.

IMG_20130605_195218_558_zps80fe9825.jpg

Last edited:
If you cant view the GIF on post 26 of this thread, if you google " 22 fret vs 24 fret prs ", one of the search results will be a former discussion of the same topic on " the Gear Page ". As you read down a couple of posts in that thread, you will see the GIF. Peace.

Every direction you look in my house you see owls.......so it must be all about the owl!!!

FWIW, here they are side by side. There's definitely more real estate behind the bridge on the CU24.

IMG_20130605_195208_313_zpsdc2cc3e2.jpg

Nice pic. Unfortunately I doesn't show how moving the entire scale from bridge to nut compress the space available for the neck pup.

If you cant view the GIF on post 26 of this thread, if you google " 22 fret vs 24 fret prs ", one of the search results will be a former discussion of the same topic on " the Gear Page ". As you read down a couple of posts in that thread, you will see the GIF. Peace.

Thanks for that. I was finally able to see the gif. It's a nice animation and shows why the fretboard is repositioned on the body. In both cases, the last 2 frets of the fretboard are over the body as I wrote earlier.

The animation is misleading though. Picture the animation not showing the body, just the nut, fretboards, pups and bridge as in my second drawing. Now, instead of moving the entire scale, simply add frets 23 and 24 to the end of the fretboard with the nut, bridge and pups not moving at all. You can imagine that the 2 added frets would overlay the neck pup, thus the neck pup has to be moved closer to the bridge to accommodate the 2 extra frets of the fretboard. NOT because the bridge, and thus the entire scale, was repositioned on the body...

I can see that I will have to make my own animation. I suppose I'll have to teach myself how to do animated gifs...

Last edited:
I have been wanting to see that gif (it doesn't show on the work or the home computer) to see why people think where the bridge is positioned on the the body has anything to do with the position of the neck pup...
Thanks, now I know I was not going batty, as the Kindle showed a broken picture link since Kindle and PB do not get along anymore, however I could not see it on my PC when I came to this thread.
Anyways, I hit the quote button for post 26, and here is the URL to the pic, but it now says not found.
http://home.roadrunner.com/~ethomas/prs22vs24.gif

Maybe ran out of bandwidth, or it got pulled.

IMG_20130605_195218_558_zps80fe9825.jpg

I agree, looks like more spacing behind the bridge and the bridge pickup is closer to the neck pickup than the CU22.
This topic is perfect for a MythBusters episode.

I agree, looks like more spacing behind the bridge and the bridge pickup is closer to the neck pickup than the CU22.
This topic is perfect for a MythBusters episode.

LOL. I'm not letting them blow up my guitars.

(Unless they buy me some new ones. Hmmmm....)

Back