22 fret owners, any issues playing a 24 fret guitar?

After many years with 22-fret Gibsons and 21-fret Fenders, I had no trouble at all adjusting when I got my first PRS, which is a 24-fret. It may be an exaggeration to call it adjusting- it was entirely unconscious and certainly didn't involve any deliberate adaptation. Been switching amongst them for more than thirty years with no worries and nowadays I have a number of 24-fretters.

I notice the differences in feel and tone far more. When it comes to physical aspects what I'm most aware of is the differences in control layout. Not saying the fret positioning isn't a bit different, but for me it's subliminal. Certainly not uncomfortable- not even inconvenient.

Sometimes, it takes a little adjustment, a little getting used to -- the fretboard doesn't seem quite right -- but that goes away after a few minutes. Otherwise, no problems.

I think it's not unlike jumping between a Strat and a LP.

The only issue I have is that sometimes I tend to look at the upper frets from the body end of the fretboard, so going to 24 changes what I'm seeing and I tend to misjudge some of the notes from about the 15th-20th frets (roughly). That goes away after a minute or two, and it's much quicker now that it was at first.

I grew up playing 24 frets 25.5 scale guitars, mainly Ibanez RG550s and Jems...
My first PRS was a Custom 24 and really I did not need any adjusting to the slightly l shorter scale.
However... growing up I started feeling more comfortable playing 22 fret guitars... The scale is not as important to me, but the "shorter" neck is.
I currently prefer playing my 513 (25 1/4 scale) and an Ibanez S2120x (25.5 scale) and getting back to the Custom 24 and the RG550 seems odd at first...

Of course as others said, I suck the same on both.

Its no big problem for me. I play upstairs mostly anyway and the extra frets are useful.

However, in one song's solo, I finish with a phrase using the 24the fret (top e), this is my signal to the brass section to come back in. When I first used a 22 fret model, I looked up to find them just staring back at me...

Its no big problem for me. I play upstairs mostly anyway and the extra frets are useful.

However, in one song's solo, I finish with a phrase using the 24the fret (top e), this is my signal to the brass section to come back in. When I first used a 22 fret model, I looked up to find them just staring back at me...
Be handy on “Alright Now” :D

Brass players know the difference between a D and an E fingering? o_O

I do get lost, but usually on the way back down, usually doing some sort of pentatonic run up things look very familiar, once I get up to the top hang out a bit on the 24th fret, then when I want to head back down to 16 17 or 18th I mess up I get lost, so like everybody says once you practice your moves 10 times it's pretty easy to get back on track, but I consistently get lost going back down until I practice three or four times.

I think it's because I move my reference point, I usually keep track of the 12th fret a lot. until I go up to the 22nd then I use the end of the fret board as the reference point. that's a bad move on the 24 fretter.

I think it's because I move my reference point, I usually keep track of the 12th fret a lot. until I go up to the 22nd then I use the end of the fret board as the reference point. that's a bad move on the 24 fretter.

Yes it is. I'm more familiar with 24s, so sometimes when using a 22 I will reach for notes that aren't there. It doesn't happen often and it doesn't really faze me. If anything it makes me laugh at myself briefly.

Back