20th Anniversary PRS

? About the 20th Anniversary Artist... did some or all of these come nitro? Does anyone know for sure?
I'm guessing, but I don't believe so. This is what the artist package in 2007 contained. I don't think it was different in 2005.

"**Artist Package - Artist grade top, paua shell bird inlays, Brazilian
rosewood fretboard & headstock overlay, inlaid paua shell signature,
gold hardware, leather hardshell case"

That is interesting, as I have seen several listed that way in the past! Maybe a mistake!

There have been certain runs over the years with nitro, as well as Private Stocks. But the Core Artist Packages didn’t come with nitro, special limited runs excepted.

However, the limited run “Ted” McCarty DC and SC models were nitro finished, but that was around 2010. I’d guess there were other limited runs like that (I don’t remember one from 2005, but it’s possible!). The David Grissom DGT was originally nitro, but it’s a 2008 model.

Also, the Swamp Ash Special, Custom 22 Soapbar, the original CE and other maple neck guitars had nitro on the necks, but poly on the body. So a Swamp Ash Special from 2005 could have been advertised as a nitro neck, poly body.

None of those look like they have pau birds. Signatures yes, birds no. Maybe abalone?? None look nealy colorful enough. I have had many artist packs (non 20th ann.) and they all came with bright pau that Im not seeing in those pics, or remembering seeing on other 20th anniversary guitars.

Last edited:
Hi Guy's im getting a 20th anni. Artist but the ine im getting has crome and they replaced the 5 way switch with a 3 way and has a Trimonte pick up in the neck. Please give me any feed back. This will he my first PRS. I have played mostly Ibanez.

I’m not sure if the Artist package ever included a BRW board. It did have the matching headstock veneer; I think the standard headstock veneer thing came later. Except for the early days (‘85-‘90ish), BRW has only appeared on WL, PS, and a few limited runs.

Pretty sure the biard was braz on the artist option. I pondered when I ordered mine.
I went non 10 and ended up with a very cool looking black cherry with birds in flight.

Traded it to Jo for something in the BaM days. Wish I'd have kept it now, but my purple CU is/was beefier sounding,

Hi Guy's im getting a 20th anni. Artist but the ine im getting has crome and they replaced the 5 way switch with a 3 way and has a Trimonte pick up in the neck. Please give me any feed back. This will he my first PRS. I have played mostly Ibanez.

great solid PRS with cool inlays.
You might prefer the 3 way. Pickups are always personal taste. I liked the D2's.

Hi guys,
I know this is an old thread but I have a question relating to the 20th anniversary cu 24/22 specifically and cannot for the life of me find the answer.

I’m aware the artist package upgraded to a braz board and headstock veneer, artist pickups etc. Does anyone know if it was the artist package specifically that had rosewood headstock veneers, with all other options being standard headstock? Was there a non braz rosewood headstock veneer in part of the line up? Or if the guitar had that veneer were they defo an AP upgraded instrument?

Any info would be really appreciated thank :)

I think a non anniversary still had headstock veneer but may not/probably not braz.
Standard spec of the time pickup compliment.
IE 24's had HFS/VB, 22's had Dragon 2s.

great solid PRS with cool inlays.
You might prefer the 3 way. Pickups are always personal taste. I liked the D2's.
Yeah i think it still has the D2s on the bridge. Always loved the sound of a real PRS. Not the SE. I also play one full step down tuning, and with Beefy 52- 12 strings I have heard that the intonation might have problems ? My Original 79s Ibanez Lawsuit didny have any problems and i did all the intonations myself, but for the PRS im going to have it done by a pro.

Yeah i think it still has the D2s on the bridge. Always loved the sound of a real PRS. Not the SE. I also play one full step down tuning, and with Beefy 52- 12 strings I have heard that the intonation might have problems ? My Original 79s Ibanez Lawsuit didny have any problems and i did all the intonations myself, but for the PRS im going to have it done by a pro.

If it's a stoptail you may want to get a adjustable tailpiece from the accessory store or some such. Trem shoul dbe no issue to adjust.

Back