20th Anniversary of PS - Northern Lights Sound Check

László

Too Many Notes
I decided to use the rig I've been using for a project to do a "sound check" demo clip of my "Northern Lights" 20th Anniversary of PS guitar.

Two things about this demo - first, unlike what I usually like to do, I just noodled similar musical bluesy passages, trying to do similar things with each pickup switching position, instead of playing along with drums and bass, etc. I figured that way you could hear the pickup positions best.

So I did a short passage in each position clean, and a short passage in each position with the amp's overdrive channel. As a result of wanting to do a full demo of each pickup clean and dirty, the track takes about 5 minutes - and the playing is purposely repetitive so you can compare the pickup positions. It's pretty boring - but again, the idea is to hear how the guitar works.

There are NO effects on the clean passages, except the Lone Star's own reverb. For the overdriven passages I added a little ducked delay from an Eventide H9, and very light compression from a Suhr Koji Comp. Because that's how I think this amp sounds best overdriven, and it's a pretty good sound!

I miked the amp with a Shure SM57, about two inches from the grille, about the edge of the dustcap. The speakers on this amp are the stock Black Shadow 90s, built for Mesa by Celestion. They aren't bright speakers. The mic fed the stock preamp on a UA Apollo interface, and I recorded into Logic.

Second, I had some nerve damage in a surgery I had recently that has made two fingers on my fretting hand completely numb and the whole hand is weak. I actually have to look at the fretboard to see where the fingers are, like a beginner, at this point. So forgive the playing. However the idea is to hear how the guitar sounds. You'll probably suffer, but survive, the bad playing. Just wanted to give you a fair warning. ;)

What I did was go from positions 1-5 in order, clean first, then same thing with the overdriven amp. You'll hear the pickup changes right away (position 1 is bridge, etc.)

For those who haven't seen it, a shot of the guitar:

Here's a shot of the recording setup, just a 57 on one of the speakers on a Lone Star 100 Watt (set to full power, 100 Watts):

Here's a link to the track, I hope you find it a useful demo.

https://soundcloud.com/tags/bluesy demo

Last edited:
Those are some tasty tones, Les!

And even your gimp hand makes mine sound like a 3 toed sloth with 2 toes missing. Nice bluesy stuff, Les.

Sounds even better than it looks... somehow.

Great stuff Les! Very unique sounding guitar, to me. Incredibly full, round sound on the bridge pickup (and elsewhere). Not what I would expect from a solid body with a trem. Really sounds like a hollow body in some ways, but maybe it's just me, or the way you have it set up to record. I love it, not harsh in any way. Congrats again!

Your reviews are the best Les! Pictures, even in an audio demo!

Truly an impressive sounding guitar! Nice playing.

Glad you like the tones, guys, and thanks for the nice comments! As you can tell, I just cut up a single pass with the amp to shorten the clip so the demo wouldn't be too long...it doesn't make musical sense, and there are plenty o' clams. But it does give you a sense of the guitar with that amp.

Position 4 and 5 are really sweet with that amp.

I agree...though position 3 (middle pickup) really surprised me, it's a great rhythm tone. I almost never use that position on other guitars!

Incredibly full, round sound on the bridge pickup (and elsewhere). Not what I would expect from a solid body with a trem. Really sounds like a hollow body in some ways, but maybe it's just me, or the way you have it set up to record.

I didn't do anything special to set up the amp or the mic...in fact, I set the master lower than usual and put up a 57, the old standby. Actually, the 57 doesn't pick up some of the prettier overtones that the guitar puts out, and it makes the mids a little "pluckier" than they are in the room, so...I'm going to do some more recording and use a ribbon in combination with it, maybe even try a condenser.

The guitar really sounds better than my recording makes it sound.

I can't wait to hear a demo through the HXDA.

Tom

Tom, it sounds great through the HXDA! I was all set up for a project through the Mesa, and that's why I used it for the demo - but I also figured its familiar clean tone would make it easy for folks pick up on the guitar's characteristics. Soon I'll cut some tracks with the HXDA and the DG30...the guitar sounds wonderful through the DG30, too, especially the neck pickup. It's great, very 3D.

At some point this week, I'll be running a more organized rig, because I ordered a 3 amp switch box from Lehle, out of Germany. So I'll be able to run a single snake from the pedalboard (with cables for each amp and the channel switch for the Mesa), and I am hoping it will make recording multiple amps a little less of a hassle - the idea is that I can just switch over with my foot to a different amp from the pedalboard. I'm hoping that multiple passes will involve less interrupting the recording flow for rewiring, and so on.

Sounds killer. I'd LOVE to figure out how to get clips to sound 1% that good. I thought al, the positions sounded awesome. I loved the 2d clean tone especially. The dirty bridge sounded like the stereotypical PRS sound, but very articulate. The one thing that really struck me was the sustain of the neck pickup. That guitar's a beast!

I didn't do anything special to set up the amp or the mic...in fact, I set the master lower than usual and put up a 57, the old standby. Actually, the 57 doesn't pick up some of the prettier overtones that the guitar puts out, and it makes the mids a little "pluckier" than they are in the room, so...I'm going to do some more recording and use a ribbon in combination with it, maybe even try a condenser.

The guitar really sounds better than my recording makes it sound.

Don't go changing anything on account of me, I think it sounds great!

Sounds killer. I'd LOVE to figure out how to get clips to sound 1% that good. I thought al, the positions sounded awesome. I loved the 2d clean tone especially. The dirty bridge sounded like the stereotypical PRS sound, but very articulate. The one thing that really struck me was the sustain of the neck pickup. That guitar's a beast!

It's so easy to record good-sounding clips, here are some tips:

1. You don't need a fancy microphone. An $89 SM57 does a nice job. Get a sound you like with your guitar and amp.

Then you just need to find out where to put the mic, and until you're used to a particular amp, one way to do that without a helper is just record a loop on a digital looper (lots of players have a pedal that does this). Then take the guitar off, put on a pair of headphones, and while the loop is playing, move the mic around until you like what you hear. When you find a good spot for the mic, leave it there. It's that simple.

2. There are really inexpensive recording interfaces with very fine mic preamps that sound darn good on the market. And I mean, inexpensive. You don't need fancy gear, and you don't need to buy into the myth of needing expensive mic preamps to record guitars. It's nice to have them, but it isn't necessary. No one ever bought a record and said, "Man, that guy shouldn't have used his stock preamp, he should have bought a Neve." Because no one who ever bought a record could identify what kind of preamps the record was made with in a million years. It either sounds good, or it doesn't. And if it sounds good, it IS good.

3. You don't need a lot of signal processing after you've recorded the clip. Maybe level it out with a little light limiting so it sounds nice and even, bounce the track, and you're done.

That sounds awesome even thru my phone speakers. I'll give a better listen on some cans or my computer tomorrow. I really thought all the positions sounded great.

It's so easy to record good-sounding clips, here are some tips:

1. You don't need a fancy microphone. An $89 SM57 does a nice job. Get a sound you like with your guitar and amp.

Then you just need to find out where to put the mic, and until you're used to a particular amp, one way to do that without a helper is just record a loop on a digital looper (lots of players have a pedal that does this). Then take the guitar off, put on a pair of headphones, and while the loop is playing, move the mic around until you like what you hear. When you find a good spot for the mic, leave it there. It's that simple.

2. There are really inexpensive recording interfaces with very fine mic preamps that sound darn good on the market. And I mean, inexpensive. You don't need fancy gear, and you don't need to buy into the myth of needing expensive mic preamps to record guitars. It's nice to have them, but it isn't necessary. No one ever bought a record and said, "Man, that guy shouldn't have used his stock preamp, he should have bought a Neve." Because no one who ever bought a record could identify what kind of preamps the record was made with in a million years. It either sounds good, or it doesn't. And if it sounds good, it IS good.

3. You don't need a lot of signal processing after you've recorded the clip. Maybe level it out with a little light limiting so it sounds nice and even, bounce the track, and you're done.

Brad - with some advice from Les and a little research, I set up this novice mini-studio in my basement, and have had a ton of fun recording. I was in tinkering with some mic positions and amp settings tonight when I saw this pop up, so I thought I'd chime in. Please excuse the crude background, my wife and I are renting so I don't have a nicely finished music room right now!

An affordable interface will only cost you about $100-200, depending on what you get. I went for the Focusrite 2i4, so I could run 2 mics on my cab if I want, and it has plenty of line outs to run sound to monitors and such. It also comes with Ableton Live DAW software and a few very handy "plugins" like EQ, compressor, reverb, etc.
24199676742_bb5281ddcd_z.jpg

Next door is my amp, with a Sennheiser e906, another rather inexpensive but nice sounding mic
23940039899_587110a7a7_z.jpg

Mark my favorite mic position with some tape for easy placement
24307875985_f27f0d5c0d_z.jpg

Sum of the parts:
24281729366_a69dc7134c_z.jpg

A very unsavory setup to the eye of a professional I'm sure, but even with what you see here, you'd be surprised at the quality you can get as a beginner. I put together song demos for my band with this rig, everyone comes over and tracks their parts (drummer uses an electronic kit), the end product isn't pro quality but still very listenable. Between the mic and the Focusrite interface, I put about $400 into my rig and was up and running (and could've done it for less). I'll probably grab a couple more mics in the future, Les has recommended the 57 as well as a Sennheiser 421, and I've also got my eye on a budget friendly ribbon mic that's been getting a lot of buzz (usually they're expensive). Have gotten some nice guitar tones already and a second mic to blend will be the cherry on top.

Sorry for the detour on you thread Les. Let's all get back to drooling over those Northern Lights!

What a nice clip, Schefman. The in-between tones are KILLER, especially the second tone you recorded. That guitar is Swiss Army material. VERY COOL!!!

Brad - with some advice from Les and a little research, I set up this novice mini-studio in my basement, and have had a ton of fun recording. I was in tinkering with some mic positions and amp settings tonight when I saw this pop up, so I thought I'd chime in. Please excuse the crude background, my wife and I are renting so I don't have a nicely finished music room right now!

An affordable interface will only cost you about $100-200, depending on what you get. I went for the Focusrite 2i4, so I could run 2 mics on my cab if I want, and it has plenty of line outs to run sound to monitors and such. It also comes with Ableton Live DAW software and a few very handy "plugins" like EQ, compressor, reverb, etc.
24199676742_bb5281ddcd_z.jpg

Next door is my amp, with a Sennheiser e906, another rather inexpensive but nice sounding mic
23940039899_587110a7a7_z.jpg

Mark my favorite mic position with some tape for easy placement
24307875985_f27f0d5c0d_z.jpg

Sum of the parts:
24281729366_a69dc7134c_z.jpg

A very unsavory setup to the eye of a professional I'm sure, but even with what you see here, you'd be surprised at the quality you can get as a beginner. I put together song demos for my band with this rig, everyone comes over and tracks their parts (drummer uses an electronic kit), the end product isn't pro quality but still very listenable. Between the mic and the Focusrite interface, I put about $400 into my rig and was up and running (and could've done it for less). I'll probably grab a couple more mics in the future, Les has recommended the 57 as well as a Sennheiser 421, and I've also got my eye on a budget friendly ribbon mic that's been getting a lot of buzz (usually they're expensive). Have gotten some nice guitar tones already and a second mic to blend will be the cherry on top.

Sorry for the detour on you thread Les. Let's all get back to drooling over those Northern Lights!

Not a detour at ALL! This is exactly the kind of thing I was talking about to Brad. And I have to tell ya, studios only need to work, they don't need to look fancy. I know a lot of very big time artists, including an Oscar winner for a movie soundtrack, whose studios look sweet and unfussy like yours, and the 3- STM stuff my son cut that went gold was done in a home studio as well (in fact, the amps were located in a furnace/hvac room).

I spend my working day and most of my spare time in my studio, so I spruced it up, but yours works just fine!

Back